Goodwins Seed Store

Starvation Gully Rd, Pigeon Bay

  • Goodwins Seed Store.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Date: 1/04/1992.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 7120 Date Entered 17th December 1993

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Goodwin's Seed Store was built in 1901 to protect sacks of cocksfoot grass seed. The Goodwin family ran the largest and one of the most successful cocksfoot operations on Banks' Peninsula. The cocksfoot industry was concentrated on the peninsula and experienced its heyday from 1880 to the 1930s. Goodwin's Seed Store has some rarity as a survivor from the heyday of this industry which can be described as one of local

significance.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1901 -

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.