St Leonard’s Church (Anglican)
24 Matakana Valley Road, Matakana
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
17th December 1993
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 176084 (CT NA108B/655), North Auckland Land District, and the building and structures known as St Leonard’s Church (Anglican) thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 25 June 2015.
Auckland Council (Rodney District Council)
Lot 1 DP 176084 (CT NA108B/655), North Auckland Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
St Leonard's was opened in 1914 and is a pleasant but by no means outstanding example of the small scale Gothic Revival timber church built in towns and rural areas throughout New Zealand from the mid-nineteenth century. The interior fittings and furnishings have been altered but the structure, its cladding and its match-lining appear to be original.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.