14 Camp Bay Road, Purau
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th February 1994
Lot 3 DP 387552 (CT 350439), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. This report includes text from the original Proposal for Classification considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
The significance of the Whare lies in its intimate association with the Purau Homestead and subsequently the history of Diamond Harbour. The Whare was built at approximately the same time as the Homestead (c.1853) by station hands of the first owner, Robert Rhodes. The Gardiner family brought the homestead in 1874 and it has remained in this family for five generations.
The Whare preserves a once common vernacular form of building, a simple gabled timber frame outhouse with lean-to verandahs, and is one of the oldest such buildings in New Zealand. The Whare is an important, surviving early colonial archetype and forms an important part of the group of buildings at Purau.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.