Wilson Homestead (Former)
64E Moumoukai Road, Paparimu, Papakura
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
23rd June 1994
Auckland Council (Franklin District Council)
Lot 12 DP 125201 (CT NA73A/336), North Auckland Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
This house was built for George Wilson (a farmer) in the 1880's. Some years later the home was used as the Paparimu School, which opened on 10 July 1899. Later that year the school shifted to its own permanent building. In 1900 the house became a Post Office and George Wilson became the Postmaster in 1912. In 1916 postal transactions ceased, but the home continued in use as a telephone office and bureau until closed on 17 June 1941.
After WW2 the farm was subdivided, this part becoming a rehabilitation block with the Proctor family, new to farming, taking up residence in the house. At various times the farm was the highest producing dairy farm in the area, later becoming part of a larger dairy unit, the house then being used as workers quarters, or rented out to tenants.
The house has had a long association with farming in the district and is the only surviving homestead of that era in the area.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.