155 Burns Road, Bankside
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
23rd June 1994
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Sec 7 Blk IX Selwyn SD (CT CB34C/1027), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Woolshed thereon.
Sec 7 Blk IX Selwyn SD (CT CB34C/1027), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
The Mead Settlement woolshed, built in 1875 with stands for eight shearers, is an example of a Victorian woolshed constructed in brick, an unusual type of building material for farm buildings of this province. Standing on part of the old Haldon Station run which was taken up by John and Samuel Bealey in 1852, the woolshed is the best preserved of a group of buildings erected to service a 6,000 acre sub-farm of the original Haldon Station. In 1902 the Government purchased the Rakaia block and subdivided it into 21 farms.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.