St John the Divine Church (Former)

4 Campbell Road And State Highway 45, Otakeho

  • St John the Divine Church (Former), Otakeho, South Taranaki. CC Licence 3.0 Image courtesy of Kete New Plymouth.
    Copyright: Kete New Plymouth. Taken By: Ron Lambert. Date: 5/04/2010.
  • St John the Divine Church (Former), Otakeho, South Taranaki. CC Licence 3.0 Image courtesy of Kete New Plymouth.
    Copyright: Kete New Plymouth. Date: 2/02/2014.
  • St John the Divine Church (Former), Otakeho, South Taranaki. Image courtesy of McDonald Real Estate.
    Copyright: McDonald Real Estate. Taken By: Viv Scott. Date: 1/05/2018.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 7272 Date Entered 27th October 1995

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Sec 51 Otakeho VILL SETT (CT TN18/95), Taranaki Land District, and the building known as St John the Divine Church (Former) thereon.

City/District Council

South Taranaki District

Region

Taranaki Region

Legal description

Sec 51 Otakeho VILL SETT (CT TN18/95), Taranaki Land District

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Recommendation for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Historical:

St John the Divine is a typical small nineteenth century rural church serving also as a memorial to those who died in the two world wars.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Recommendation for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Aesthetic:

The design of St John the Divine presents a clear and competent expression of ecclesiologist principles.

Architectural:

The church architecture of Frederick de Jersey Clere is well known for its high quality. The design of St John the Divine is a well resolved essay in Norman/Early English Gothic revival, employing New Zealand vernacular techniques in its construction.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Recommendation for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Cultural/Social:

This building has served as a religious and social meeting place for the local community for over one hundred years.

Spiritual:

Generations of local Anglican families have used this church as a place of worship and still continue to do so.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Recommendation for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

a) The extent to which the place reflects important or representative aspects of New Zealand history:

The history of St John the Divine is typical of an Anglican church in a small rural township.

c) The potential of the place to provide knowledge of New Zealand history:

The church displays a number of interpretive devices such as rolls of honour, memorial gates, a plaque and stained glass windows. These help provide knowledge about the history of the Anglican church in the local community.

e) The community association with, or public esteem for, the place:

f) The potential of the place for public education:

St John the Divine has formed a close association with the community not only as a small rural church but also as a memorial to their war dead and a local politician.

g) The technical accomplishment or value, or design of the place:

St John's has the principal features of a quality Clere country church. The style is essentially Norman with the floor plan displaying the correct arrangement of baptistery/vestry, nave and chancel in that order with the chancel/apse at the east end.

Other standard features are the roof, which is pitched at the ecclesiologically correct angle of 60 degrees, and the exterior which is clad in vertical board and batten. The design also features a porch to the south side of the building, a main entrance facing west, timber window frames with straight pointed heads and interior decoration such as three lancet windows in stained glass and high quality; wood carving.

Conclusion:

St John the Divine, Manaia, is recommended for registration as a Category II as a place of historical and cultural heritage significance and value. The building is a good example of a timber country church designed by architect, Frederick de Jersey Clere. As a church in a small rural township it is held in high esteem by the local community.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Clere, Frederick De Jersey

Clere (1856-1952) was born in Lancashire, the son of an Anglican clergyman, and was articled to Edmund Scott, an ecclesiastical architect of Brighton. He then became chief assistant to R J Withers, a London architect. Clere came to New Zealand in 1877, practising first in Feilding and then in Wanganui. He later came to Wellington and practised there for 58 years.

He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1886 and held office for 50 years as one of four honorary secretaries in the Empire. In 1883 he was appointed Diocesan Architect of the Anglican Church; he designed more than 100 churches while he held this position. Clere was a pioneer in reinforced concrete construction; the outstanding example of his work with this material is the Church of St Mary of the Angels (1922), Wellington.

As well as being pre-eminent in church design, Clere was responsible for many domestic and commercial buildings including Wellington's Harbour Board Offices and Bond Store (1891) and Overton in Marton. Clere was also involved in the design of large woolsheds in Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa.

He was active in the formation of the New Zealand Institute of Architects and served on their council for many years. He was a member of the Wellington City Council until 1895, and from 1900 a member of the Wellington Diocesan Synod and the General Synod. He was also a member of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1893 -

Other
1894 -
Dedicated for service

Information Sources

New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT)

New Zealand Historic Places Trust

Nomination Form

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.