Historical Significance or Value
W.S. Allen a native of Manchester, was actively involved in English politics and was a Member of Parliament from 1866 until he finally settled in New Zealand, in 1895. He had bought the first part of his Annandale estate in 1885 while visiting New Zealand, and the house, built in 1892, and the enlarged property provided for his sons in New Zealand.
Despite his several trips to New Zealand, Allen maintained his interest in British politics, being re-elected to the Commons in 1891. He does not seem to have been resident at Annandale until 1895. His private resources enabled him to ensure that Annandale weathered the economic depression of the 1880s and 1890s. He became involved in New Zealand politics at both the local and national level. The property remains today in the Allen family.
As an adaption of an English country house design to a New Zealand setting, Annandale is an important building. The verandah on the main elevation of the house is an acknowledgement of local climatic conditions. However, the house lacks an integration of architectural features, suggesting that it was designed by a gentleman architect rather than by a trained professional. This is a late example of the use of the hipped roof, a feature common in the 1830s. This is a rare example of the simple early roof form being revived in the late Victorian period. Annandale is an important example of a large country house of the 1890s and this adds to its significance.
The house, with its surrounding trees and the avenue of chestnut trees to S.H.26, has considerable landscape value.
ARCHITECT/ENGINEER OR DESIGNER:
Not confirmed, but may have been
W.S. ALLEN, the original owner of the property
SIGNIFICANCE OF ARCHITECT/
William Shepherd Allen bought the Annandale estate in 1886. The design of the house he built there in 1892 may derive from his 1871 house of Woodhead Hall, Staffordshire although his possible role as architect of these houses is uncertain.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (STYLE):
A rectangular, two storeyed house of late Victorian design. It has two gables concealed by a hipped roof above the front entrance. The entrance door is protected by a bracketed hood, and the lower storey is extended by a hipped roof verandah. The front elevation exhibits a restrained classicism with the main decorative features being the brackets underneath the eaves, the mullions and transoms of the windows and the shaped bargeboard of the verandah.
Window shutters; wooden verandah on north side removed; some interior modifications.
Kauri weatherboards and interior; brick foundations and slate roof.
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1902
Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol.2, Christchurch, 1902
M Fowler, Country Houses of New Zealand. A H and A W Reed, 1971.
New Zealand Institute of Architects Journal
New Zealand Institute of Architects Journal (NZIA)
A. White and R. Brown, 'Some Early Architects in Hamilton', Volume 32, No 7, 1965, pp249-275
22 November 1890, p2 col.6
11 December 1890, p3 col.3
24 December 1890, p2 col.2
14 February 1891, p2 col.2
28 February 1891, p2 col.
Sir Stephen Allen, Early Morrinsville, Hamilton 1959
F. Craig, 'Farming at Annandale', No.31, 1977
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The Brief Description below includes the text from the original registration report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.