Lost heritage Christchurch City A-C

Explore the stories of various New Zealand Heritage List places in Christchurch City (addresses A-C) that have been demolished following the Canterbury earthquakes.


Cranmer Centre
expand/collapse

Cranmer Centre (former Christchurch Girls High School)

40 Armagh Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1849) - Demolished 2011

The Cranmer Centre, the two-storey brick building that was situated on the corner of Armagh Street and Montreal, was built to house Christchurch Girls' High School, and was the second purpose-built building the school occupied.  

Architecturally the Cranmer Centre was significant as a fine example of Victorian school architecture in a Venetian Gothic style.  Historically the building was identified with the development of women's education in New Zealand.  It housed, for over 100 years, the first public girls' school in Christchurch.


Warwick House
expand/collapse

Private Hotel (formerly Warwick House)

52 Armagh Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1948) - Demolished 2011

Private Hotel (Formerly Warwick House) was built in 1904.


Union Centre
expand/collapse

Union Centre building (formerly Armstrong's)

Corner 91-107 Armagh Street and Colombo Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3141) - Demolished 2011

Union Centre Building (Formerly Armstrongs) was built in 1923.


Holy Trinity Church
expand/collapse

Holy Trinity Church (Anglican), Avonside

122 Avonside Drive, Avonside, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#3113) - Demolished 2011

Holy Trinity Church marked a new phase of Anglican church-building in Christchurch, when the temporary churches of the 1850s and 1860s were replaced by more permanent structures. This church was especially important as a Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort-designed building, and within Mountfort's career it is notable as his first Anglican church to be built in stone.


Riverlaw
expand/collapse

Riverlaw

81 Aynsley Terrace, Opawa, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3728) - Demolished 2012

Riverlaw was the home of Colonel George Smith, who purchased the property in 1905. It was a three-storeyed residence with distinctive brick arches and decorative timber balustrades onthe verandahs. Riverlaw also incorporated remnants of the original 1852 house on the property.


Our Lady of Missions
expand/collapse

Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions Convent

Corner, 140 Barbadoes Street and 62 Ferry Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 5461) - Demolished 2012

The convent was erected in 1881 for the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions, who had served in Christchurch since 1868.


Marli
expand/collapse

Marli

118 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3122) - Demolished 2011

Marli was constructed in 1907.


The Deanery
expand/collapse

The Deanery

80 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1937) - Demolished 2011

The Deanery was built in 1926.


House, 100 Bealey Ave
expand/collapse

House

100 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 Historic place (#1886) - Demolished 2012

This large house had been subdivided into flats.


House, 107 Bealey Avenue
expand/collapse

House

107 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 1887) - Demolished 2011

Also known as Country Glen Lodge, the house at 107 Bealey Avenue was built in 1896.


Nazareth House
Image: The Trustees of the Poor
Sisters of Nazarethexpand/collapse

Nazareth House Chapel

20 Brougham Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic places (#1906) - Demolished 2013

Nazareth House Chapel was opened by Bishop Brodie in December 1939. It was designed by architects Collins and West in the Gothic style with heavy brick walls and buttresses.


Lyttelton Tunnel Authority building
Copyright: Transit NZ
(NZ Transport Authority)expand/collapse

Lyttelton Road Tunnel Administration building

1 Bridle Path Road, Heathcote Valley, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7746) - Demolished 2013

The Lyttelton Road Tunnel Administration Building, built in 1963-4 and designed by architect Peter Beaven, was a significant work in the development of New Zealand architecture.  The building was located at the western end of the newly constructed road tunnel linking Christchurch to the port of Lyttelton.  It was built to house the staff who controlled all aspects of the tunnel's operations, including the toll booths across the motorway. By 1979 the collection of tolls ceased and the booths were removed.


Canterbury Public Library
expand/collapse

Canterbury Public Library (former) 1870s section

109 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#297)- Demolished 2011

Canterbury Public Library (Former), 1870s section was significant as the oldest building of the former public library complex, which has a long association as a place of knowledge and recreation with the public of Christchurch.


Librarian's House
expand/collapse

Librarian's House (former), Christchurch

Corner 109 Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3704) - Demolished 2011

This two-storey brick villa was built to house the Head Librarian of Christchurch Public Library in 1894. It was designed by Collins and Harman, the architectural firm founded by William Armson, the architect of the first brick building of the library complex.  The former Librarian's house was significant as part of the former public library complex, which has a long association as a place of knowledge and recreation with the public of Christchurch.


Theosophical Society
Image: Christchurch City Libraryexpand/collapse

Theosophical Society building

267 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1938) - Demolished 2012

The Theosophical Society Building was constructed in 1926 and designed by architect Cecil Wood in the Neo Georgian style.


Zetland tavern
expand/collapse

Zetland Hotel

88-92 Cashel Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1952) - Demolished 2011

The Zetland Hotel was built in 1903.


Twentyman
expand/collapse

Twentyman & Cousins Store (former)

93 Cashel Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3707) - Demolished 2011

Twentymen & Cousins Store (Former) was built 1882.


Guthrey Centre
expand/collapse

Guthrey Centre (formerly Anderson's Foundry)

126 Cashel Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#3669) - Demolished 2011

This building was originally erected to house shops and offices for John Anderson (1820-1897), whose iron foundry was situated at the rear.  Anderson's office building, built around 1881, was designed by William Armson, one of the foremost architects in nineteenth-century New Zealand. I t was historically significant because of its links to Anderson and his foundry, and architecturally as one of the few remaining Armson-designed buildings in Christchurch.


Cashfields
expand/collapse

Cashfields

154 Cashel Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3096)- Demolished 2013

This three-storey Edwardian commercial building was constructed in 1908 and designed by England Brothers. It was the third building on the site to house DIC (Drapery and Importing Company of NZ), the first two DIC buildings having been damaged/destroyed by fire.  DIC remained in the premises through until 1978.


St Paul's Trinity Pacific Church
expand/collapse

St Paul's-Trinity-Pacific Church (Presbyterian)

Corner 236 Cashel Street and Madras Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#305) - Demolished 2011

St Paul's-Trinity-Pacific Presbyterian Church built of brick and then plastered to resemble stone, was designed by Samuel Charles Farr.  It was a distinctive example of ecclesiastical architecture in a city renown for its Gothic Revival buildings.  The church was a centre of Presbyterian worship for over 100 years.


Cracroft
Image: Girl Guide Associationexpand/collapse

Cracroft House

151 Cashmere Road, Cashmere
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1861) - Demolished 2012

Cracroft House was a cob cottage built by politician Sir John Cracroft Wilson between 1854 and 1856.  Cracroft House was gifted to the Girl Guides Association in 1958 and was used thereafter as a training centre for the Association.


The Press building
expand/collapse

The Press building

32 Cathedral Square, corner of Worcester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#302) - Demolished 2011

The Press Building was a noted example of the work of Armson, Collins and Harman, a singular landmark and was technically important as one of the earliest ferro-concrete buildings in Christchurch.


Regent Theatre
expand/collapse

Regent Theatre building (formerly Royal Exchange)

39 Cathedral Square, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1918) - Demolished 2011

The Regent Theatre Building (Former Royal Exchange) made a major contribution to the townscape of Cathedral Square. It was the first major Edwardian building erected in the square. It was the last of six cinemas to be developed around Cathedral Square, and at the time it opened it was considered to be the grandest theatre in the city. Before that, as the Royal Exchange Building, it was an important commercial building in the centre of Christchurch.


Warners Hotel
expand/collapse

Warner's Hotel

39 Cathedral Square, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7384) - Demolished 2011

Warner's Hotel made a major contribution to the townscape of Cathedral Square. 


Sevicke Jones
expand/collapse

Sevicke Jones building

53 Cathedral Square, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7226) - Demolished 2011

The Sevicke Jones Building was built in 1913.


Lyttelton Times building
expand/collapse

Lyttelton Times building (former)

56 Cathedral Square, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7216) - Demolished 2011

The Lyttelton Times building formed part of a significant group of heritage buildings fronting Christchurch's Cathedral Square, which were built around the turn of the nineteenth century at a time of economic growth. Its primary significance was its architectural merit, as the first building to introduce elements of the Chicago skyscraper style to New Zealand. The building was also associated with one of the early newspapers in New Zealand, a newspaper noted for its progressive and radical views.


House, 112 Centaurus Rd
expand/collapse

House

112 Centaurus Road, Cashmere, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1878) - Demolished 2011

This house situated at 112 Centaurus Road, Cashmere, Christchurch was built circa 1880.


House, 116 Centaurus Road
expand/collapse

House

116 Centaurus Road, Cashmere, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1879) - Demolished 2011

This house situated at 116 Centaurus Road, Cashmere, Christchurch was built circa 1880.


Semi-detached house, Chester Street
expand/collapse

House (semi-detached)

90-92 Chester Street East, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#5468) - Demolished 2011

This house (semi-detached) situated at 90-92 Chester St East, Christchurch was built in circa 1890.


Semi-detached house, Chester Street
expand/collapse

House (semi-detached)

94-96 Chester Street East, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#5469) - Demolished 2011

This house (semi-detached) situated at 94-96 Chester St East, Christchurch was built in circa 1890.


Cathedral Grammar
expand/collapse

Cathedral Grammar School Main Block

2 Chester Street West, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1843) - Demolished 2011

The Cathedral Grammar School building was significant for its elegant neo-Georgian design that took into account contemporary beliefs about the benefits of fresh air and sunshine for children. It was a major part of the Cathedral Grammar School complex, which is significant as an example of the transfer of English traditions and customs to New Zealand.


St Mary's Merivale
expand/collapse

St Mary's Church (Anglican)

30 Church Lane, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 1926) - Demolished 2011

St Mary’s Church (Anglican) was consecrated in 1926. During the demolition process, contractors were able to retrieve several items including stained glassed windows, the baptismal font and the trowel used to lay the church's foundation stone.


Elizabeth House
expand/collapse

Elizabeth House (former dwelling)

6 Circuit Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1866) - Demolished 2011

Elizabeth House (Former Dwelling) was built in 1914.


Baptist Church
expand/collapse

Baptist Church

146 Colombo Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1852) - Demolished 2011

The Baptist Church was built in 1930.


Sydenham Post Office
expand/collapse

Sydenham Post Office

340 Colombo Street, Sydenham, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1935) - Demolished 2012

The Sydenham Post Office Building was built in 1912.


Colombo Street Wesleyan Church
expand/collapse

Colombo Street Wesleyan Church (former)

343 Colombo Street, Sydenham, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3137) - Demolished 2011

Colombo Road Wesleyan Church was designed by Melbourne architects Crouch and Wilson and was built in 1878.


Wharetiki
expand/collapse

Wharetiki

854 Colombo Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7551) - Demolished 2011

Wharetiki was a substantial timber Edwardian dwelling, designed in an eclectic American Queen Anne style, but with Arts and Crafts decorative elements.