Lost heritage Christchurch City D-H

Explore the stories of various New Zealand Heritage List places in Christchurch City (addresses D-H) that have been demolished following the Canterbury earthquakes.




House Daresbury
expand/collapse

House (formerly Daresbury Stables)

7 Daresbury Lane, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3803) - Demolished 2011

House (Former Daresbury Stables) was built in 1903.


NZ Loan & Merchantile Woolstore
expand/collapse

New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Woolstore (former)

116-118 Durham Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#3672) - Demolished 2012

This building was constructed in 1881 as a wool and grain store for the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Company. It was designed by architect William Armson.


Canterbury Society Arts Gallery
expand/collapse

Canterbury Society of the Arts Gallery (former)

282-286 Durham Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#3107) - Demolished 2012

The Canterbury Society of Arts Gallery (former) was Canterbury's first art gallery. It was constructed in 1890 with further additions in the Victorian Gothic style in 1894.


Durham St Methodist Church
expand/collapse

Durham Street Methodist Church

Corner 309 Durham Street North and Chester Street West, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#3099) - Demolished 2011

The Methodist church in Durham St was built of stone and Gothic Revival in style. The church was a significant example of early ecclesiastical architecture in Christchurch.


Hadleigh
expand/collapse

Hadleigh

Corner 6 Eversleigh Street and 78 Springfield Road, St Albans, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3721) - Demolished 2011

Hadleigh was built in 1904.


Our Lady of Missions chapel
expand/collapse

Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions Chapel

62 Ferry Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (# 7096) - Demolished 2012

The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions Chapel was built of brick with Oamaru stone dressings and was believed to have been the only fully realised example of a Byzantine Revival church in New Zealand.


AT Burt's
expand/collapse

A & T Burt (former Nugget Boot Polish Factory)

580 Ferry Road, Christchurch.
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3090) - Demolished 2011

A & T Burt (Nugget Boot Polish Factory Former) was built in 1924.


Lintrathen
Image: NZHPT Field Record
 Collectionexpand/collapse

Lintrathen

140 Glandovey Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3821) - Demolished 2012

Lintrathen was a large reproduction Elizabeth manor house designed by architect John Goddard Collins in 1926. The two-storey house was constructed of double brick with a rough cast second floor.


Wave House
expand/collapse

Wave House (formerly Trade Union building)

14 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1941) - Demolished 2011

Wave House (Formerly Trade Union Building) was built in 1905.


Gas Company building
expand/collapse

Gas Company Building (former)

94 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3708) - Demolished 2011

The Gas Company Building (former) was built 1880.


Canterbury Times-Star building
expand/collapse

Canterbury Times and Star building (former)

134-140 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3731) - Demolished 2011

Canterbury Times and Star Building (Former) was built in 1884.


Coachman Inn
expand/collapse

Coachman Inn

144 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1859) - Demolished 2011

The Coachman Inn was built in 1902.


Theatre Royal
expand/collapse

Theatre Royal building (former)

148-154 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3706) - Demolished 2011

This timber building was the second Theatre Royal on Gloucester Street. Designed by Alfred Simpson, it was constructed in 1876 to replace the first Theatre Royal. The third Theatre Royal building is entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1936).


Canterbury TV building
expand/collapse

Canterbury Television Building

202 Gloucester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7123) - Demolished 2011

This building built in 1926 was important as a direct link to the history of broadcasting in New Zealand.


House, 37 Hackthorne Road
expand/collapse

House, Cashmere

37 Hackthorne Road, Cashmere, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3742) - Demolished 2011

This house situated at 37 Hackthorne Road, Cashmere, Christchurch was built in 1915.


Parkdale
Image: C Cochran, NZHPT Field
 Record Collectionexpand/collapse

Parkdale

16 Heaton Street, Merivale, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3726) - Demolished 2011

Parkdale was built circa 1924 for Robert Crampton, reputedly the first manufacturer of galvanised iron in New Zealand. The brick and stucco house was surrounded by a garden designed by landscape architect, Alfred William Buxton.


Wahi Ruru, Sumner
expand/collapse

Wahi Ruru

50 Heberden Avenue, Sumner
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3125) - Demolished 2015

During spring 1851, a dwelling was built on the farm of Burrell Parkerson at Sumner.  There is some suggestion that this initial residence was a wooden cottage, but by 1853 it had either been supplemented or supplanted by a two-storey stone cottage.  The buildings on the site were substantially restored and refurbished in the 1990s.


Canterbury Public Library
expand/collapse

Canterbury Public Library (former) 1900s and 1920s section

Corner, Hereford Street and Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 4910) - Demolished 2011

Canterbury Public Library (Former), 1900s and 1920s section was significant as part of the former public library complex, which had a long association as a place of knowledge and recreation with the public of Christchurch.


St Elmo Courts
expand/collapse

St Elmo Courts

47 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3133) - Demolished 2011

St Elmo Courts was built 1930.


NZ Trust & Loan building
expand/collapse

NZ Trust and Loan building (former)

84 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3725) - Demolished 2011

The New Zealand Trust and Loan Building was a two storeyed brick building constructed in 1866 to the designs of renowned colonial architect, Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort. It was believed to be the earliest and oldest surviving example of Venetian Gothic Revival architecture that dated back to an early phase of European built commercial history in Christchurch. The building was demolished following the earthquake of 22 February 2011. 

Read the report (pdf, 1.4mb)


T & G Building
expand/collapse

T & G Building

190-192 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3139) - Demolished 2011

T & G Building was built 1929


Occidental Hotel
expand/collapse

Perry's Occidental Hotel

208 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 1913) - Demolished 2011

Perry's Occidental Hotel had historical significance as the oldest surviving hotel building in Christchurch - and probably in Canterbury.


St John the Baptist Church
expand/collapse

St John the Baptist Church

234 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#293) - Demolished 2011

St John the Baptist Church was the first stone church to be built for the Anglican community in Christchurch. St John's was significant as a distinguished feature of Latimer Square.


ANZ Bank
expand/collapse

ANZ Bank

188 High Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3091) - Demolished 2011

ANZ Bank was built in 1912.


Strange's building
expand/collapse

Strange's Building

219-223 High Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#4391) - Demolished 2011

Strange's Building was built in 1899-1900 as the third building used by the department store run by Strange and Co. This building was a physical remnant of the earliest department store in Christchurch and was an excellent example of commercial architecture in the Italianate style. Strange and Co.'s was a highly successful business in late nineteenth and early twentieth-century Christchurch and a major employer.


Fisher's Building
expand/collapse

Fisher's Building

280 High Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1869) - Demolished 2011

Fisher's Building was constructed for Reverend T.R. Fisher, a former Wesleyan minister.  It was designed by W.B. Armson, one of the foremost architects in nineteenth-century New Zealand, noted for his banks and other commerical buildings. It was a spendid example of Venetian Gothic architecture, which, because of its prominent site, had become a local landmark.