Lost heritage Christchurch City I-P

Explore the stories of various New Zealand Heritage List places in Christchurch City (addresses I-P) that have been demolished following the Canterbury earthquakes.


Jubilee Hospital
expand/collapse

Jubilee Hospital Complex

2 Jubilee Street, Woolston, Christchurch
Originally  entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7337) - Demolished 2011

The Jubilee Hospital Complex was established in 1888. This hospital complex was significant as an example of an architectural design that directly reflected Victorian social reforms. The Jubilee Hospital complex aimed to provide patients with space for their individual needs, and a healthy atmosphere. It exemplified the history of the health system in New Zealand as care for the country's citizens changed from being reliant on the charity of the community to being funded and administered by the state.


Caledonian Hall
expand/collapse

Caledonian Hall

135 Kilmore Street West, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3095) - Demolished 2011

The Caledonian Hall was significant due to its links to the Caledonian Society, an example of an organisation established by immigrant groups in order to maintain their links with their place of origin.


Repertory Theatre
expand/collapse

Repertory Theatre

146 Kilmore Street West, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1919) - Demolished 2011

The Repertory Theatre was built in 1929.


Dorothys
expand/collapse

Dorothy's Boutique Hotel (former)

Corner 2 Latimer Square and Hereford Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7440) - Demolished 2011

Dorothy's Boutique Hotel was designed in the Victorian/Edwardian Arts and Crafts style of the period 1880-1918.


Harald's building
expand/collapse

Harald's Building

80 Lichfield Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1875) - Demolished 2011

Harald's Building was erected in 1881 for the Butterworth brothers, who ran a wholesale drapery business. It was designed by W. B. Armson, one of the foremost architects in nineteenth-century New Zealand.
This building was designed in the Italian palazzo style. This style became popular for commercial premises during the nineteenth century.
Harald's Building was an important example of Victorian commercial buildings in Christchurch. It formed part of the cluster of Victorian and Edwardian commercial buildings in the Lichfield Street/ High Street area and was an important part of the local townscape.


Horse Bazaar
expand/collapse

Canterbury Horse Bazaar (former)

141 Lichfield Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7485) - Demolished 2011

The style and original function of the former Canterbury Horse Bazaar at 141 Lichfield Street was unique in Christchurch. Built in 1903 of red brick, the former Horse Bazaar was an important remnant of the early period of Canterbury's history when horses were a vital means of transport and horse trading was a prominent commercial venture.


Linwood House
expand/collapse

Linwood House

30 Linwood Avenue, Linwood, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3119) - Demolished 2011

Linwood House was a rare surviving Christchurch house dating from the 1850s and as the home built for Dr Joseph Brittan, who migrated to Canterbury in 1852 and became a significant figure in the new settlement.  Later, it was the home of nationally significant politician William Rolleston.


House, 16 McMillan Ave
expand/collapse

House, Cashmere

16 MacMillan Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3818) - Demolished 2011

This house situated at 16 MacMillan Ave, Christchurch was built in 1918.


YWCA
expand/collapse

YWCA building

268 Madras Street
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1951) - Demolished 2011

The YWCA Building was built in 1914.


St Luke's Church
expand/collapse

Church of St Luke the Evangelist

Corner Manchester and Kilmore Streets, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3353) - Demolished 2011

The church was designed my Julian Cyril Mountfort (1852- 1920) and completed in 1909. It was a competent example of early English Gothic Revival church of substantial scale.


Excelsior Hotel, Christchurch
expand/collapse

Excelsior Hotel

120 Manchester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#4390) - Demolished 2016

The Excelsior, originally known as Barrett's Hotel, was completed in 1882 in the style of an Italian palazzo, an architectural form made famous by Sir Charles Barry's designs for two London clubs, the Travellers' (1829-1830) and the Reform (1837-1838). An important landmark in Christchurch until 2011, it was one of the few examples of architect WB Armson's work still standing. The majority of the structure was demolished in 2011, with the facade being demolished in April 2016.


Manchester COurts
expand/collapse

Manchester Courts

158-160 Manchester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#5307) - Demolished 2010

This building was built for the New Zealand Express Company in 1905-1906 and at the time of its construction it was the tallest commercial building in Christchurch. The foundation and first two storeys of the New Zealand Express building are reinforced concrete, and this was probably the first use of reinforced concrete in a commercial building in Christchurch. The building was badly damaged after the Canterbury (Darfield) earthquake on 4 September 2010, and subsequently demolished.

Read the report (pdf, 2.1mb)


Civic Offices
expand/collapse

City Council Civic Offices (former)

194-198 Manchester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1870) - Demolished 2011

City Council Civic Offices (former) was built in 1899.


MED building
Image: Kete Christchurchexpand/collapse

MED Building

218 Manchester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1904) - Demolished 2012

The MED (Municipal Electricity Department) Building was constructed in 1938 and designed by architect Victor Hean of the City Council. The building reflected the Bauhaus architectural influence and the use of modern construction techniques.


Cranmer Court
expand/collapse

Cranmer Court (former Normal School)

1/350-15/350 Montreal Street and Kilmore Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1872) - Demolished 2012

Cranmer Court (Former Normal School) was originally built to house Christchurch Normal School, which opened in 1876. It was designed by architect Samuel C. Farr (1827-1918) and was built in stone from the Halswell quarry with Oamaru stone dressings. It was designed with two wings forming an 'L' shape, one for boys and one for girls, and a distinctive octagonal room at the corner of the 'L' with an intricate wooden vaulted ceiling. Cranmer Court (Former Native School) was significant as one of the earliest normal schools in New Zealand, and as a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture.


Christchurch Technical College Assembly Hall
expand/collapse

Christchurch Technical College Assembly Hall

Moorhouse Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered on the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1847) - Demolished 2014

The two storey brick building was built in 1935 and dedicated to 71 former Christchurch Technical College students who dies in World War I.


Christchurch Railway Station
expand/collapse

Christchurch Railway Station (former)

386-392 Moorhouse Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1848) - Demolished 2012

The Christchurch Railway Station (Former) was designed by Wellington architectural firm Gray, Young, Morton and Calder. The plans were drawn up in the mid 1930s but construction was delayed by World War Two. The station was subsequently built in stages and officially opened on 1 November 1960.


Lyttelton Post Office (former)
expand/collapse

Post Office, Lyttelton (former)

Corner 7 Norwich Quay and Oxford Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1817) - Demolished 2011

Post Office (Former) was built in 1875.


Forbes Store
expand/collapse

Forbes' Store, Lyttelton

17 Norwich Quay, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7530) - Demolished 2011

Constructed in 1863, the Forbes Company building became the premises for Robert Forbes sail-making and ship chandlery business from 1870 until the 1950s.  Forbes' Store was one of the earliest commercial buildings constructed of permanent materials in Lyttelton.


Mt Pleasant Stables
expand/collapse

Mt Pleasant Station Stables, Akaroa

31A Onuku Road, Akaroa
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3055) - Demolished 2011

These brick stables were constructed in the c.1860s-1870s by landowner George Checkley.


Cottage, 232 Opawa Road
Image: NZHPT Field Record
Forms Collectionexpand/collapse

Cottage, Opawa

232 Opawa Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3697) - Demolished 2012

This four-roomed stone cottage with slate roof was constructed in the late 1860s.


Rhodes Home
expand/collapse

Rhodes Memorial Home

5 Overton Drive, Cashmere, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1920) - Demolished 2011

The Rhodes Memorial Convalescent Home was significant as a memorial to Robert Heaton Rhodes, a prominent early settler in Canterbury. It was an example of the way in which the welfare needs of society in the 1880s were handled by private philanthropic gestures rather than by the state. It also stood as an important reminder of the accomplishments of its architect, Frederick Strouts.


Canterbury Jockey Club
expand/collapse

Canterbury Jockey Club

128 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7381) - Demolished 2011

The building was designed for the club by A. & S. Luttrell, well-known Christchurch architects and was built in 1912. Canterbury Jockey Club Building was also used by the Christchurch Stock Exchange, who worked from this building for sixty years.


Oxford Terrace Baptist Church
expand/collapse

Oxford Terrace Baptist Church

288 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1853) - Demolished 2011

The Oxford Terrace Baptist Church was built in 1882 and designed by Edward Saunders, at which time it was the largest Baptist church in New Zealand.


Carlton Hotel
expand/collapse

Carlton Hotel

1 Papanui Road on corner of Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1841) - Demolished 2011

The Carlton Hotel was built in 1906 to accommodate visitors to the 1906-1907 International Exhibition, and was designed by J. C. Maddison.
The Carlton Hotel was significant as an example of Maddison's hotel architecture, as a prominent local landmark and as part of the history of the New Zealand brewing industry.


St Margarets Warren House
Image: ME Emberson copyright
 Heritage New Zealandexpand/collapse

St Margaret's College Warren House

61 Papanui Road, Merivale, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1925) - Demolished 2012

Warren House was built circa 1910 and designed by architectural firm England Brothers in the Domestic Revival style.  It was purchased in 1965 to ease excessive overcrowding at St Margaret's College and functioned as a boarding hostel.  The building was blessed by Bishop Warren on 14 September 1965, thereafter being known as Warren House.


St Albans Wesleyan Church
expand/collapse

St Albans Wesleyan Church

163 Papanui Road, Merivale, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1923) - Demolished 2013

St Alban's Wesleyan Church was built in 1894 and designed by R.W England in the Gothic style. It was constructed in brick with stone dressing and had a shingle clad spire which was a prominent landmark.


St George's Hospital
expand/collapse

St George's Private Hospital

251 Papanui Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3134) - Demolished 2012

St George's Private Hospital was constructed between 1926-1928. It was designed by JS and MJ Guthrie.


Knowles Court
expand/collapse

Knowlescourt

274 Papanui Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1897) - Demolished 2011

Knowlescourt was built in 1910.


Larel
expand/collapse

Larel

277 Papanui Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1898) - Demolished 2011

The dwelling known as Larel was built in 1924.


Weston House
expand/collapse

Weston House

62 Park Terrace on corner with Peterborough Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#309) - Demolished 2011

Weston House was a substantial two-storeyed brick house built for George T Weston, a Christchurch solicitor, around 1923. It was particularly significant as a fine example of a Neo-Georgian house designed by Cecil Wood, a well-known New Zealand architect.


Rosary House
Image: VE Meek, NZHPT Field
 Record Collectionexpand/collapse

Rosary House

128 Park Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1922) - Demolished 2012

Rosary House was constructed in 1915 and designed by architect Edward England. It was named Rosary House by the Sisters of Mercy who purchased the property in 1955 and ran it as a hostel for women university students.


Fleming House
Image: VE Meek, NZHPT Field
 Record Form Collectionexpand/collapse

Fleming House, Wesley Lodge Eventide Home

138-148 Park Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1942) - Demolished 2013

Fleming House was built as a private residence for A.R. Fleming in 1926. It was designed by architect Cecil Wood in the English Domestic Revival style. The house later became part of Wesley Lodge, a Methodist Church home for the elderly.


McKellar House
expand/collapse

McKellar House, Wesley Lodge Eventide Home

138-148 Park Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the Listas a Category 2 historic place (4989) - Demolished 2013

McKellar House was built as a private residence for Arnauld McKellar in 1912. It was designed by architect Samuel Hearst Seagar in the English Domestic Revival style. The house later became part of Wesley Lodge, a Methodist Church home for the elderly.


Church of the Good Shepherd
expand/collapse

Church of the Good Shepherd (Anglican), Christchurch

42 Phillips Street, Phillipstown, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1855) - Demolished 2011

The Church of the Good Shepherd had significance as Benjamin Woolfield Mountfort's (1825-1898) sole surviving brick church in New Zealand. It was a fine example of High Victorian Gothic architecture.