Lost heritage Christchurch City Q-Z

Explore the stories of various New Zealand Heritage List places in Christchurch City (addresses Q-Z) that have been demolished following the Canterbury earthquakes.


Lyttelton Timeball Station
expand/collapse

Lyttelton Timeball Station

2 Reserve Terrace, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#43) - Demolished 2011

The Lyttelton Timeball Station (1876) was one of a handful of timeball stations to have survived throughout the world, and was the only original one still standing in New Zealand. The first timeball was dropped at Portsmouth in 1829. The Lyttelton Timeball was the third in New Zealand, the others being Wellington (1864) and Dunedin (1868). Timeball stations became an important part of many ports during the nineteenth century. Timeballs were constructed to drop at a known Greenwich time, so a ship's master could check the chronometer.


Vicarage, Lyttelton
expand/collapse

Old Vicarage (Anglican), Lyttelton

26 Ripon Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic places (#1816) - Demolished 2011

This two-storey stone house was built in 1864 as the 'parsonage' for Lyttleton's Holy Trinity Anglican Church. It was designed by architect S.C. Farr.


Christs College Classrooms
Image: NZHPT Field Record
Collectionexpand/collapse

Christ's College Classrooms 1915-1921

33 Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3281) - Demolished 2012

This two-storey classroom block was built in three stages; work commenced in 1915, with an extension in 1919 and the addition of laboratories in 1921. It was one of several buildings designed by architect Cecil Wood for Christ's College, the oldest educational establishment in Canterbury.


House, 17 Rossall Street
expand/collapse

House, Fendalton

17 Rossall Street, Fendalton, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7104) - Demolished 2011

This house was built in 1925-27 as a retirement home for Josiah Ballantyne (1855- 1938), a principal in the Christchurch department store, J Ballantyne and Company Ltd.  The house was designed by Cecil Wood. Constructed of double and triple brick, it was an example of English Domestic Revival architecture, incorporating Arts and Crafts philosophies with both Gothic Revival and Georgian detailing.


Akaroa Photography Shop
expand/collapse

Shop, (Akaroa Photography)

14 Rue Balguerie, Akaroa
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1739) - Demolished January - February 2017

Originally a residence, the exact date of construction of this place is uncertain. The rear of the building was built first, with the front section, opening directly onto the footpath, was built at a later date. The building was of a timber construction with timber shiplap weatherboards.


Shirley Community Centre
expand/collapse

Shirley Community Centre (former Shirley Primary School)

10 Shirley Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7117) - Demolished 2012

This building was constructed in 1915 as Shirley Primary School. It was built to the design of Education Board architect George Penlington. The building's hipped roof and symmetry gave the building an overall Georgian air, whilst its U-shaped plan and large and regular fenestration hinted at the Jacobean influence which was to be developed in Penlington's later work.


Victory memorial
Image: NZHPT Field Record
 Formsexpand/collapse

Victory Memorial School

40 Springfield Road, St Albans, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7486) - Demolished 2013

This stone and plastered brick school was constructed in 1922 and designed in the Arts and Crafts style by the Guthrie Brothers. It was built as a World War One memorial in remembrance of the fallen soldiers of the Anglican diocese.


House, 82 Springfield Road
expand/collapse

House, St Albans

Corner 82 Springfield Road and 1 Eversleigh Street, St Albans, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3722) - Demolished 2011

The house situated at corner 82 Springfield Road and 1 Eversleigh Street, St Albans was built in 1906.


Lyttelton Borough Chambers
expand/collapse

Lyttelton Borough Chambers

1 Sumner Road, on corner with Oxford Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7525) - Demolished 2011

The Lyttelton Borough Council Chambers was the first purpose built administrative centre for the borough and it incorporated the first substantial Magistrates' Court. Sited prominently at the corner of Sumner Road and Oxford Street, the former Lyttelton Borough Council Chambers building was an imposing architectural feature of the town since its completion in 1887.


Lyttelton Fire Station
expand/collapse

Lyttelton Fire Station (former)

Corner 2 Sumner Road and Oxford Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7524) - Demolished 2011

The former Lyttelton Fire Station building was built in 1902, because of its styling, location, scale and usage, was one of the town's major architectural and historical features.


House, 5 The Spur, Clifton
Image: NZHPT Field Record
Collectionexpand/collapse

House, Clifton Hill

5 The Spur, Clifton Hill, Sumner
Originally entered on the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1880) - Demolished 2015

This wooden cottage is one of eight designed by Samuel Hurst Seager, and built in 1903-4, as part of his innovative marine garden suburb development. A new concept in domestic architecture and construction influenced by Californian style, the cottages are modest in size and advertised originally as gentlemen's residences. The multipurpose living space suggested an informal life style. Other rooms opened off this central one. Showers were incorporated instead of baths.


Civic Offices, Christchurch
Image: Christchurch City Councilexpand/collapse

Civic Offices

163-173 Tuam Street, Christchurch
Originally entered on the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1856) - Demolished 2014

The Category 2 building featured the first escalator in the South Island when it was completed in 1939 as Millers department store.  It was later used as the Christchurch City Council offices.


A J Whites
expand/collapse

AJ White's Department Store (former)

236 Tuam Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#4386) - Demolished 2011

This store was built for A. J. White (1838 -1895), who arrived in Canterbury in 1861 and established a prosperous business as a furniture and furnishing retailer.  The building was significant because of its unusually fine Venetian Gothic façade with facings of Oamaru stone and Bluestone, and because of its continuing links to the furniture retail trade in Christchurch.


Godley House
expand/collapse

Godley House, Diamond Harbour

2 Waipapa Terrace, Diamond Harbour, Banks Peninsula
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1813) - Demolished 2011

Godley House was 130 years old.  It was the former residence of noted Canterbury figures Harvey Hawkins and painter Margaret Stoddart.


Holy Trinity, Lyttelton
expand/collapse

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Lyttelton

Corner 17 Winchester Street and Canterbury Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#1814) - Demolished 2011

Holy Trinity Anglican Church was built in 1859.


St Joseph's
expand/collapse

St Joseph's Church (Anglican), Lyttelton

18 Winchester Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1819) - Demolished 2011

St Joseph's Church (Catholic) was built in 1865.


St John's, Lyttelton
expand/collapse

St John's Church (Presbyterian), Lyttelton

44 Winchester Street, Lyttelton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (# 1818) - Demolished 2011

St John's Church was built from locally quarried stone and was a fine example of the plain gothic style. It was designed by Christchurch architect Samuel Farr and opened on 1 January 1865.


Hagley House
expand/collapse

Hagley House

6 Wood Lane, Fendalton, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1800) - Demolished 2010

Hagley House was built in 1882.


Calrendon Hotel
expand/collapse

Clarendon Hotel Facade

78 Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1858) - Demolished 2012

The three-storeyed stone and plastered brick Clarendon Hotel was built in 1902-3, replacing the earlier timber hotel on the site. Designed by J C Maddison, it was an example of the Renaissance revival style. The hotel building was demolished in the 1980s to make way for the new Clarendon Towers multi-storey building, but the façade was retained and incorporated in the new building's design.


Avon Theatre
expand/collapse

Avon Theatre

86-88 Worcester Street, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3092) - Demolished 2013

This Art Deco theatre was built in 1934. It was designed by L.E. Williams, a Wellington-based architect who specialised in cinemas. At the time of its opening the building was seen as the most lavish of J. C. Williamson's numerous picture theatres in New Zealand.