Waimakariri District

Explore the stories of various New Zealand Heritage List places in the Waimakariri District that have been demolished following the Canterbury earthquakes.


Rialto Cinema Kaiapoi
expand/collapse

Community Centre/Rialto Cinema, Kaiapoi

4 Charles Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3750) - Demolished 2011

Community Centre/Rialto Cinema was built in 1935.


Convent Building (former), Rangiora
Image: Francis Vallanceexpand/collapse

Convent Building, Rangiora

29 Victoria Street and George Street, Rangiora
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3767) - Demolished 2014

The Roman Catholic convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame des Missions was consecrated in 1907.  The former convent was later used as a private residence.


Haskell House
expand/collapse

Haskell House, Kaiapoi

250 Williams Street and Beach Road, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7095) - Demolished 2013

Haskell House or 'Chadwell' was built as a private residence for George Haskell and his wife in 1865-1866. The house was Victorian in style with a cruciform plan. It was built of cavity brick construction and was thought to have been the earliest example of this construction method in New Zealand.


House, Beswick Street Kaiaoi
Image: NZHPT Field Record Collectionexpand/collapse

House, Kaiapoi

14 Beswick Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3819) - Demolished 2014

Built in c. 1904 by Henry Philip Mills, this elegant Edwardian villa was notable for its stuccoed detail veranda which encircled all four sides of the building.


House Sewell Street, Kaiapoi
expand/collapse

House, Kaiapoi

52 Sewell Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3757) - Demolished 2012

This weatherboard workers' dwelling had a bull nose verandah with decorative cast iron lace along the front of the verandah.


Masonic Lodge Rangiora
Image: Francis Vallanceexpand/collapse

Masonic Lodge, Rangiora

132 Percival Street, Rangiora
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3785) - Demolished 2013

The Masonic Lodge in Rangiora was constructed in 1882 of brick, concrete and iron, with a light facing of Oamaru Stone.


Methodist Parsonage, Kaiapoi
Image: David Ayersexpand/collapse

Methodist Parsonage (former), Kaiapoi

53 Fuller Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3755) - Demolished 2013

The brick Methodist Parsonage was constructed in 1914 and designed in the bay villa style by architect R. Lovell-Smith.


Kaiapoi Museum
expand/collapse

Museum - formerly Court House and Jail, Kaiapoi

145 Williams Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3790) - Demolished 2010

The building at 145 Williams Street in Kaiapoi, completed in October 1890, is an early example of a rural area's Court house and it had its original lock up behind. The building was demolished following the earthquake of 4 September 2010.

Read the report (pdf, 1.3mb).


Peveral Place, Flaxton
expand/collapse

Peverel Place, Flaxton

19 Mulcocks Road, Flaxton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1796) - Demolished 2015

A homestead built on concrete in c. 1876 by Edward Mulcock.  A timber addition was added in about 1890. The building was notable as an early example of a domestic concrete construction and for its two-storied veranda.


Riverside Shopping Centre
expand/collapse

Riverside Shopping Centre, Kaiapoi

Raven Quay and Williams Street, Kaiapoi
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3762) - Demolished 2011

The Riverside Shopping Centre was built in 1921.