Lost Heritage 2000-2004

Explore the stories of various heritage places that have regretfully been lost to development, fires, neglect, storms and other natural disasters and were removed from the New Zealand Heritage List during 2000-2004.

Search the List

Discover the diversity of our heritage places.

Explore now

Onoke (formerly Judge Manning's House)
expand/collapse

Onoke (formerly Judge Manning's House

Brindle Road, Onoke
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#74).

Lost to: Fire

Onoke was a well-preserved nineteenth-century dwelling, constructed for Frederick Maning (1811/12?-1883), an Irish-born trader and adventurer who became a Native Land Court judge and celebrated author.

St Paul's Church (Anglican), Kawakawa
expand/collapse

St Paul's Church (Anglican), Kawakawa

27 Church Street, Kawakawa
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#417)

Lost to: Fire

Opened in 1878 by Bishop Cowie, the Anglican St Paul's Church in Kawakawa reflects the establishment and growth of European settlement at Kawakawa following the discovery of coal in the area.

Building, Lawrence
expand/collapse

Building, Lawrence

13 Ross Place, Lawrence
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#5211)

Lost to: Demolition (health and safety)

The land was originally granted to Thomas Jackson in 1864. The crown grant was issued to prominent Lawrence merchants Edward Herbert and Archibald McKinlay in 1873. The building is thought to date from the period prior to 1880.

Flower's House, Christ's College, Christchurch
expand/collapse

Flower's House, Christ College, Christchurch

64 Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch

Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3657)

Lost to: Demolition

Flower's House at 64 Rolleston Avenue was built opposite Christ's College in 1919 to accommodate College boarders.

Find out more about other buildings at Christ's College on the List Online:

  • Big School (#48)
  • Memorial Dining Room (#3276)
  • Christ's College Chapel (#3277)
  • Hare Memorial Library (#3278)
  • Jacobs House (#3279)
  • School House (#3280)
  • Classrooms 1915-21 (#3281)
  • Open Air Classrooms (#3282).
Kurow Butchery, Kurow
expand/collapse

Kurow Butchery, Kurow

28 Bledisloe Street, Kurow
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4892)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The Kurow Butchery building dates from the late nineteenth century. A date on the façade indicated that the business was established in 1892.

House, Waipukurau
Image: Chris Cochranexpand/collapse

House, Waipukurau

10 Wellington Road, Waipukurau
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4847)

Lost to: Fire

Constructed in 1879, the house was relocated in 2004 and subsequently destroyed by fire.

Mountford Buildings, Sunnyside Hospital
expand/collapse

Sunnyside Hospital (Mountford Buildings), Christchurch

1 Lincoln Road, Spreydon, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1934)

Lost to: Redevelopment

Constructed between 1871-1876, the original Sunnyside Hospital buildings were designed by architect Benjamin Mountford in the Victorian Gothic Style.

Website survey

Can you spare a few minutes to tell us what you think?

answer survey

During 2003

Fairton School, Ashburton
expand/collapse

Fairton School, Ashburton

Hakatere Marae, State Highway 1, Ashburton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#4908)

Lost to: Fire

Built in 1879, Fairton School was a well-preserved, representative example of an early school building.

Masonic Lodge, Aratapu
expand/collapse

Masonic Lodge, Aratapu

Poutu Road, Araputu
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3869)

Lost to: Fire

The Masonic Lodge was constructed in the early 1900s, on a main road in Aratapu township.

Laings Rd Methodist Church. Lower Hutt
expand/collapse

Laings Road Methodist Church, Lower Hutt

Laings Road, Lower Hutt
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7212)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

This Romanesque-influenced church was designed by William M. Fielding, and built by C. H. Downes in 1926-1927. This is the fourth Methodist church to be built in Lower Hutt and the third on this site.

Find out more about the Lower Hutt Civic Centre Historic Area on the List Online.

Malthouse (former), Grovetown
expand/collapse

Malthouse (former), Grovetown

Nolan Road, Grovetown
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1512)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The Malthouse was constructed in 1872 and became part of the Diamond Brewery from 1885.

During 2002

Waiapu Hotel, Tikitiki
Image: Hyland Collectionexpand/collapse

Waiapu Hotel, Tikitiki

State Highway 35, Tikitiki
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3484)

Lost to: Fire

The Waiapu Hotel in Tikitiki was opened in 1935.

Newstead Station Stables, Moa Flat
expand/collapse

Newstead Station Stables, Moa Flat

Moa Flat Road, Moa Flat
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#335)

Lost to: Demolition (health and safety)

Originally constructed in 1870, the Newstead Station Stables were part of the Moa Flat pastoral run. The building was demolished due to extensive borer and water damage in 2002.

Sedgemoor, Manakau
Image: Chris Cochranexpand/collapse

Sedgemoor, Manakau

North Manakau Road, Manakau
Originally registered as a Category 2 historic place (#4055)

Lost to: Fire

This house was a good representative example of a timber house built in the late 1890s.

Rangatira Hotel, Te Karaka

Main Road, Te Karaka
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#3661)

Lost to: Fire

The Rangatira Hotel was constructed in 1913 for Gisborne brewery proprietor David John Barry.

Brightwater Tavern, Brightwater
Image: Chris Cochranexpand/collapse

Brightwater Tavern, Brightwater

1 Lightband Road, Brightwater
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1630)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The Brightwater Tavern was a two-storey building with two bays and a verandah. It was demolished in 2002 for road-realignment purposes.

During 2001

Horotiu Bridge, Horotiu
expand/collapse

Horotiu Bridge, Horotiu

Horotiu Bridge Road, Horotiu
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4323)

Lost to: Demolition (health and safety)

The Horotiu Bridge was constructed in 1919-21 to link Waikato County with Waipa County.

Riverton Railway Bridges & Causeway, Riverton
expand/collapse

Riverton Railway Bridges and Causeway, Riverton

Jacob's River Estuary, Riverton
Originally entered in the List as a Category 1 historic place (#7416).

Lost to: Demolition

The Riverton Railway Bridges & Causeway were constructed in 1905.

Chief Post Office Rear Annexe, Auckland
expand/collapse

Chief Post Office Rear Annexe, Auckland

Galway Street, Auckland
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4582)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The building, generally described as an 'annex' to the 1910 Chief Post Office Building, was completed in 1941 to provide expanded mail sorting and handling facilities. It was demolished to make way for the Britomart Transport centre.

Store Shed (Ex Terra Lumen inscription), Rotowaro
expand/collapse

Store Shed (with Ex Terra Lumen inscribed), Rotowaro

Part of the Rotowaro Carbonisation Works
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4283)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The Rotowaro Carbonisation Works Adit was part of New Zealand's only low-temperature carbonisation works, known as the Rotowaro Carbonisation Works. The building was demolished to make way for the expansion of the opencast mine activities.

Read more about the Rotowaro Carbonisation Works on the List Online

Rotowaro Carbonisation Works Adit, Rotowaro

Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4282)
Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

The Rotowaro Carbonisation Works Adit was part of New Zealand's only low-temperature carbonisation works, known as the Rotowaro Carbonisation Works. The building was demolished to make way for the expansion of the opencast mine activities.

Read more about the Rotowaro Carbonisation Works on the List Online

Former Mercahnts' House, Auckland
Image: Lloyd Macomber, Salmond Reedexpand/collapse

Former Merchants House, Auckland

11 Symonds Street, Auckland
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7274)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

Constructed by early 1878 and occupied by business professionals and wealthy traders, 11 Symonds Street was a two-storey, Italianate style house with a large front verandah and balcony. It was obtained for use by the University of Auckland in the late 1950s.

Bainham Post Office (former), Bainham
Image: Julia Gatleyexpand/collapse

Bainham Post Office (former), Bainham

Collingwood- Bainham Road, Bainham
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#5174)

Lost to: Demolition (storm)

Officially opened in 1896, the former Bainham Post Office collapsed following a storm and was completely dismantled in 2001.

Haldon Homestead, Hororata
Image: A C Loachexpand/collapse

Haldon Homestead, Hororata

Haldon Road, Hororata
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1782)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

Believed to have been built between 1852-1853, this house was the first home on Haldon Station.

During 2000

Hunt's Forge, Pitt Island
expand/collapse

Hunt's Forge, Pitt Island

Flower Pot-Glory Road, Pitt Island (Chatham Islands)
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#5388)

Lost to: Fire

Hunt's Forge was constructed by Frederick Hunt on Pitt Island early in the 1860s, using materials from the wreck of the Franklin (1859), and was reputed to be oldest structure extant on Pitt Island that Hunt had built himself.

Nelson Public Hospital Main Building, nelson
expand/collapse

Nelson Public Hospital Main Building, Nelson

98 Waimea Road, Nelson
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#1605)

Lost to: Demolition

Line Dept Carpenters' Shops, Arapuni
expand/collapse

Line Depot Carpenters' Shops, Arapuni

Three c.g.i. buildings, Arapuni Power Station, Powerhouse Road, Arapuni
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4240)

Lost to: Demolition (redevelopment)

Constructed as part of the first state-built hydro-electric dam project on the Waikato River, this building was amongst the earliest structures completed upon commencement of the ₤1,170,891 Arapuni project in September 1924. It was representative of New Zealand vernacular building practice, in particular the use of corrugated iron as a construction material.

Halcombe Bakery, Halcombe
expand/collapse

Halcombe Bakery

Stanway Street, Halcombe
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#2821)

Lost to: Demolition (health and safety)

The bakehouse was part of a bakery complex operating on the site from the late nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century.

Saddlery (former), Levin
Image: Chris Cochranexpand/collapse

Saddlery (former), Levin

15 Queen Street, Levin
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#4077)

Lost to: Demolition

The saddlery was constructed in 1919.