Feldwick Memorial Gates

Coronation Avenue and Victoria Avenue, Queen’s Park, INVERCARGILL

Quick links:

The handsome Feldwick Memorial Gates at the entrance to Invercargill’s Queen’s Park stand as a reminder of the generosity of benefactor John Feldwick whose 1913 bequest funded much of the development of the park. The gates have aesthetic, social, historical and architectural significance. Surrey-born John Feldwick (c. 1844-1913) came to New Zealand in as a young man with his family. Henry Feldwick, John’s brother, shifted to Invercargill in 1876 and entered into a partnership with William Craig, proprietor of the Southland News. John followed Henry there, and after William Craig’s retirement, entered into the partnership. After Henry’s death in 1908, the family sold the paper. Henry returned to England, where he died in 1908. John on his death in 1913, left a substantial £20,000 bequest to the council to be invested, and the income used for developing Queen’s Park. In 1924, in recognition of Feldwick’s generosity the ‘magnificent main gates’ were erected at the south end of Coronation Avenue, facing out onto a broad crescent driveway from Gala Street reserve. The memorial gates were officially opened in December 1926. The Southland Times reported that ‘the fact that Invercargill citizens are far from unappreciative of the benefits bestowed upon the borough was forcibly demonstrated yesterday afternoon when a large gathering, representative of all sections of the community, attended the official opening of the Feldwick Memorial Gates.’ While it has been written that the gates were funded through the bequest, in fact rates funded the gates as ‘something in the nature of a memorial to a gentleman who has given such a handsome donation.’ The mayor then congratulated – but did not identify – the contractors, the architect and the designers of the bust. The plaque on one of the pillars reads ‘erected by the Municipality of Invercargill to the memory of John Feldwick’ in recognition of his ‘munificent bequest to this park.’ Between the two engraved plaques is a bronze relief of John Feldwick. The other gate post features Invercargill’s original Coat of Arms incorporating a plough, a sheaf of grain and a bale of wool, along with a ship. On 22 December 1926 the gates were officially opened. The brick gateposts have pilasters on which are mounted commemorative plaques. The gate posts are mounted with urns draped with wreaths. Cast iron gates provide access to Coronation Drive – a grand central entrance, and smaller pedestrian entrance flanked by smaller gate posts and side walls. In 2018, Feldwick Memorial Gates still provide a grand entrance to Invercargill’s beautiful Queen’s Park.

Feldwick Memorial Gates, Queens Park, Invercargill. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com | Shellie Evans - flyingkiwigirl | 27/12/2013 | Shellie Evans
Feldwick Memorial Gates, Queens Park, Invercargill. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com | Andrew Clark | 19/08/2006 | Andrew Clark
Feldwick Memorial Gates, Queens Park, Invercargill. [Cropped] CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 Image courtesy of www.flickr.com | Kathrin & Stefin Marks | 01/02/2016 | Kathrin & Stefin Marks



List Entry Information


Detailed List Entry



List Entry Status

Historic Place Category 2


Able to Visit

List Number


Date Entered

11th November 1983

Date of Effect

11th November 1983

City/District Council

Invercargill City


Southland Region

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 2 DP 430107 (RT 517206), Southland Land District, and the Feldwick Memorial Gates, thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 26 July 2018.

Legal description

Lot 2 DP 430107 (RT 517206), Southland Land District

Stay up to date with Heritage this month