1 Craggy Range Road, MARAETOTARA

Quick links:

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration. Craggy Range, as it was known, was buiIt by William Van Asch who purchased a property of 1500 hectares in 1913. This was part of the large Tukituki Station of 4450 hectares. Van Asch was the eldest son of Gerrit Van Asch, first principal of the School of the Deaf, established at Sumner, Christchurch, 1887. Van Asch, at the suggestion of John Chambers Jnr (a pioneer in the use of electricity) harnessed a small stream which flowed into the Tukituki near Waimarama producing five kilowatts of power. His son, Piet Van Asch, who pioneered aerial mapping in New Zealand, established New Zealand Aerial Mapping Limited and had his darkroom in the house. After Van Asch's death in 1930, Craggy Range was run as a family estate until 1947 when it was divided into five blocks. Two of the blocks were taken over by two of Van Asch's sons while the homestead block was bought by Felix Campbell on his return from service with the RNZAF in World War II. Renamed Belmount after the family house in Ireland it remains in the same hands today.

Belmount | Alison Dangerfield | 25/09/2009 | NZ Historic Places Trust



List Entry Information


Detailed List Entry



List Entry Status

Historic Place Category 1


Private/No Public Access

List Number


Date Entered

6th June 1990

Date of Effect

6th June 1990

City/District Council

Hastings District


Hawke's Bay Region

Legal description

Pt Lot 1 DP 7287 Lot 1 DP 7747 Blk IV Kidnappers SD

Stay up to date with Heritage this month