Former Myers Park Gardener's Cottage restored

Many will be familiar with Myers Park in the centre of Downtown Auckland, notably for the historic Myers Park Kindergarten and the park itself; the expansive, undulating greenspace which graciously ascends to St Kevin’s Arcade that offers an elegant entry to Karangahape Road.


Myers Park cottage perches under the limbs of trees and the towering buildings of Auckland's CBD.
Myers Park Gardener's Cottage. Photo: HNZPTexpand/collapse

Lesser-known and tucked atop a ridge in the southeast corner of the park is the former Myers Park Gardener’s Cottage.

Dwarfed by a mixture of residential and commercial high-rise buildings, the cottage had been the subject of curious and concerned comment in recent years as the building fell into decline. Shielded by large exotic trees, vandalism, graffiti and fire plagued the cottage casting doubt over its future.

As one of a very few surviving kauri buildings remaining in the Queen Street area, the cottage was built in the 1850s by French settler Charles de Thierry and was incorporated into the park at its formation in 1914. For most of the twentieth century the cottage housed council staff and was briefly let to private tenants before sitting empty and boarded up for several years.

Auckland Council embarked on a full restoration upgrade with the intention of the cottage becoming a community facility. The Northern Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, who were involved in providing advice to the project, are thrilled that the conservation and upgrade works will ensure this significant heritage place will enjoy an extended life as a community asset.

Antony Phillips