This tiny church built by the pioneers of Pukekohe bears the scars from one of the most dramatic battles of the Waikato War. On a spring morning in 1863, 17 men and one 14-year-old boy held off a war party of about 200 Māori until reinforcements arrived, firing from a half-finished stockade. There are still bullet holes evident in the walls and ceiling.
The Māori warriors hid the bodies of their slain in the hollows and branches of large trees around the church. A mounted boulder now marks their resting place in the cemetery.