Paekakariki Railway Station
North Island Main Trunk Line, State Highway 1, Beach Road And Tilley Road, Paekakariki
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
29th November 1985
Date of Effect
29th November 1985
Kapiti Coast District
The present Paekakariki Railway Station, built in 1909, is the second railway station to be built for the town. The first station was built for the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company in around 1886. Following the government acquisition of the company in 1908, the Railways Department decided to replace the first station with a new building. The plan was based on a design of work of George Alexander Troup (1863-1941), chief architect of New Zealand Railways, and later Mayor of Wellington (1927-1931). The plan was approved early in 1909 and the building completed by 1910. Other facilities were also added at this time including a goods shed, foot-warmer shed and a new signalling system. (See Paekakariki Signal Box, Historic Place, Category I.) In 1910 a ladies waiting room, lobby, booking, luggage, and storeroom were added. By the end of 1940 the doubling of the track as far as Paekakariki had been completed and the line electrified. In 1943 traffic to the station increased with the arrival of American troops who were stationed nearby at MacKay's Crossing. In 1957 the building was remodelled inside. Since 1972 the station and yard has been the base of the railway society Steam Incorporated. The society is dedicated to restoring ex-New Zealand Government Railways locomotives and rolling stock for mainline operation.
The station is a narrow building with almost identical track facades. It has a low-pitched corrugated roof and rusticated weatherboard cladding. Verandahs run almost the entire length of the main elevations. Sash-windows (now boarded up) and four-panelled doors are situated along each elevation. Internally the building has been much altered.
The Paekakariki Station is a fine example of an island station and one of the oldest extant. Its significance is also enhanced by its location within one of New Zealand's best collections of railway station structures.
Troup, George Alexander
G A Troup (1863-1941) was born in London in 1863 and educated in Scotland. He trained as an architect and engineer under C E Calvert of Edinburgh and came to New Zealand in 1884. After a short time with the Survey Department in Otago he became a draughtsman for New Zealand Railways in Dunedin and then, from 1888, in Wellington. Troup became Chief Draughtsman in 1894. He designed many station buildings throughout the county, some of which are still in use today; these buildings form an important part of New Zealand's landscape. His best known building is the Dunedin Railway Station (1904-07). He also designed the head office building in Wellington for Railways (1901, now demolished).
Troup became a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1907. After World War I he was promoted to head the newly established Architectural Branch of New Zealand Railways. On retirement from Railways in 1925 he entered local body politics and was Mayor of Wellington from 1927 to 1931. Troup was prominent in the Presbyterian Church and founded the Presbyterian Young Men's Bible Class Union. He was an elder of the church for 47 years and also served on the governing bodies of several Wellington secondary schools. Education was a life-long interest and he was keenly involved in the training of engineering cadets in New Zealand Railways. Troup was knighted in 1937 and died in 1941.
Last updated 1 October 2014
See also: James Veitch. 'Troup, George Alexander', Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, first published in 1993. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, https://teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/2t49/troup-george-alexander
Addition of a ladies waiting room, lobby, booking, luggage, and storeroom
Station remodelled inside
22nd November 2001
Report Written By
K. R. Cassells, Uncommon Carrier, the history of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Co. 1882-1908, Wellington, 1994
Geoffrey B. Churchman and Tony Hurst, 'The Railways of New Zealand, a journey through history', Auckland, 1990
J. D. Mahoney, Down at the Station: A Study of the New Zealand Railway Station, Palmerston North, 1987
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.