Aperahama Church (Anglican)
4842 State Highway 12, Kaikohe
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
5th April 1984
Date of Effect
5th April 1984
Extent of List Entry
Extent of registration includes Aperahama Church (Anglican), the Gates, Free-Standing Bell and Support and churchyard and part of the land described as Pt Te Ngaohe (RT NA86D/785), North Auckland Land District
Far North District
Pt Te Ngaohe (RT NA86D/785), North Auckland Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Built by Messrs Neilsen Brothers and designed by Marsden Clarke Aperahama Church was opened by Bishop Cowie in 1885.
The church has a steep pitched roof and is rectangular in shape incorporating a chancel, porch and Selwyn-style steeple. It is weatherboard clad from timber pit-sawn at Horeke.
The Rev. Hohepa Matui Kapa was responsible for building the church. He died in 1929 and his grave is in the church burial ground.
Uncertainty surrounds the identity of the Aperahama after whom the church was named. It appears to refer to Aperahama te Awa, who died in 1884 and is buried in the burial ground.
Although the church belongs to the Ngati Tautahi hapu and is essentially a Maori church, European families belonged to the congregation for many years.
The church was restored and repainted in 1964. It is historically significant both in terms of its age and its association with the development of the Maori Anglican faith.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.