St Andrews Church
5 Vincent Street, Howick, Manukau
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
28th October 1993
Date of Effect
28th October 1993
Auckland Council (Manukau City Council)
Allot 129 & 130, village of Howick
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report presented to the Board 28 Oct 1993.
St Andrews was the first Presbyterian Church built in Howick. Constructed in 1872-73 to the design of James Wrigley, who designed a number of classified churches of other dominations in the area, it was a simple Gothic revival timber church. The church was enlarged and given its cruciform plan, to the design of architects Mitchell and Watt, in 1903-04, who introduced Queen Anne style detailing (transept and porch). The scissor beam trusses, interior lining and weatherboarding of the later addition (removed 1947) it is largely unmodified.
Mitchell & Watt
John Mitchell (c.1859-1947) and Robert Martin Watt (1860-1907) were in partnership at Auckland by 1892.
Mitchell was born in Ramelton, Northern Ireland, and received his architectural training in Ireland before emigrating to New Zealand in 1888 and settling in Auckland. He became known for his early use of reinforced concrete. In 1893 he invented a baked earthenware block which was used in domestic construction. He left for England in 1912 and was involved with a prefabricated housing project at Bournemouth. He retired in 1922 and returned to New Zealand.
Watt was born in Scotland and studied architecture in Glasgow with the firm of Barclay Bros. He immigrated to New Zealand about 1878 for health reasons and practised in Auckland both on his own account and in partnership with Mitchell. In 1960 he was elected president of the Auckland branch of the New Zealand Institute of Architects.
Mitchell and Watt were appointed architects to the Auckland Education Board in 1892. Mitchell undertook new work while Watt undertook rebuilding projects and renovations to existing buildings. Their work includes schools at Te Mata (1905) and Maungatautari (1905), additions to schools at Cambridge (1900) and Dargaville (1905), the Seddon Memorial Technical College (1908-13). Non-educational buildings include Mt Eden Congregational Church (1900). Watt was responsible for the design of the Ley's Institute, Ponsonby (1905-06).
Wrigley, James (1838 - 1882)
James Wrigley (1837?-1882) was born in Huddersfield, England. He served his articles with the firm of Pritchett and Sons of York, Huddersfield and Darlington, said to have been the leading firm in the North of England. After arriving in Auckland in 1859, he is reported to have erected many of the largest buildings in Auckland Province. Wrigley served for many years on the Auckland City Council, and was chairman of the Remuera and Newmarket Highway Board on several occasions. He was also the last elected member of the Provincial Council in New Zealand, although he did not take up his seat due to the Council’s subsequent abolition.
Structures built to Wrigley’s design include St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Howick (1872), Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Waiuku (1873) and the Roman Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul, Puhoi (1881). He is also believed to have designed the Wesleyan Chapel in Pitt Street (c.1860) and the Anglican Church of St Mathias, Panmure (1866). An elite merchant’s house at 29 Princes Street known as Hamurana (1876) is his work, as is the original portion of Carrington Hospital (1865) and substantial additions to the Northern Club in 1870. Wrigley's work in North Auckland included additions to the Waiwera Hotel (1880). He was also responsible for several cottages in Dargaville.
Source: Registration Report for D. Graham and Company's Building (Former), May 2014
Builder: Mr Thomas McInnes
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
The church has been extended since it was built in 1872-3. Builder Mt Thomas McInnes was also Secretary of the Managing Committee. An important Presbyterian Church in Auckland it is a good example of late Victorian ornamentation. Two other Presbyterian churches have been built in Howick but St Andrews Church had been preserved. It is a prominent landmark with large trees surrounding the church. The associated graveyard contains graves of many early settlers.
1872 - 1873
Simple Gothic revival timber church
1903 - 1904
Church enlarged cruciform plan designed by architects Mitchell & Watt who introduced Queen Anne style detailing (transept & porch).
The scissor beam trusses, interior lining and weatherboarding of the later addition removed.
Wooden weatherboards - iron roof
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.