Change of name from New Zealand Historic Places Trust to Heritage New Zealand
In 2010, the Ministry for Culture and Heritage led a review of the Historic Places Act 1993 (HPA) and as a result of that work the Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Act 2014 was passed and came into force on 20 May 2014. The Act includes provisions that changed how Heritage New Zealand operates, and changes to archaeological provisions. It also formally changed our name to Heritage New Zealand (from the New Zealand Historic Places Trust).
The site looks a little different
We've refreshed our website - it didn't do as much as we'd like it to do, and we've done our best to respond to some of the helpful suggestions our users made in our website survey within the resources we have available.
Importantly, it's now fully responsive (mobile device friendly) so you can access heritage information on a tablet or a smart phone now as well as the familiar desktop pc.
The site structure has changed so if you have pages bookmarked or added to your favourites, you'll need to update those links. Use the Sitemap or the site search to help relocate those pages. If you've linked to property page within the Register Online database, use the Register search. Some pages may have been removed completely because they have become too dated.
We've mapped the New Zealand Heritage List (formerly the Register), harnessing Google maps, so you can see and explore New Zealand's special heritage places in a visual and location-based way.
We're proud to care for 48 of the country's iconic sites, and these can also be explored on a map, so you can get quick and easy directions around them. We've presented our key places for now where we're especially sure you'll get a warm welcome, and have plenty to keep you and your family interested, amused and refreshed. More to come soon - it's a work in progress so please bear with us a little.
Some sections have moved around a little bit - again in response to user feedback and where they'd logically try to find things. For example, you'll find membership, donations, job vacancies and other ways to get involved with Heritage New Zealand - in the "Get Involved" section. Publications including our magazine, guidelines and newsletters are now in the "Resources" section.
If you're having trouble finding things, try the Search box, and there's also some Helpful Hints to ensure you get the best from your virtual heritage experience.
We'd love to know what you think. Drop us a line to email@example.com.
The information available on or through this website is intended to provide general information to the public and all reasonable effort has been made to ensure its quality, reliability and accuracy. Heritage New Zealand:
- may change, delete, add to, or otherwise amend information contained on this website without notice
- reserves the right to withdraw its website or any pages within the site at any time and without prior warning. Heritage New Zealand will endeavour to advise users of its website in advance of any withdrawal, in part or full, whether such withdrawal is temporary or permanent.
- is not responsible for the content of other websites linked to or referenced from this website. Heritage New Zealand does not necessarily endorse the information, content, presentation, or accuracy of linked websites, nor makes any warranty, express or implied, regarding these other websites. Heritage New Zealand cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and does not have control over availability of the linked pages
- has checked files which may be downloaded from this website for viruses or other materials that may cause damage to computer systems or files and does not accept any liability for any damage caused by downloading any materials from this site.
- The contents of this website should not be construed as legal advice.
- Reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service whether by trade name, trademark, manufacture, or otherwise does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by Heritage New Zealand.
Each page on this website must be read in conjunction with this disclaimer and any other disclaimer that forms part of it.
© Copyright Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga 2014. PO Box 2629, Wellington 6140.
- None of the content of this website may be reproduced, copied, used, communicated to the public or transmitted without the express written permission of Heritage New Zealand, except for the purposes of private study, research, review or education, as provided for in the New Zealand Copyright Act 1994.
- For written permission to reproduce information on this website for purposes other than personal use, please contact National Office, firstname.lastname@example.org. When information from this website is used in any context, please reference it to the website of Heritage New Zealand, acknowledging the author as appropriate.
- Some material on this site such as articles, images, research and recordings may be identified as being the copyright of a third party, and is being used on this site with the permission of those authors. Heritage New Zealand is committed to respecting the intellectual property rights of others – authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the copyright holders concerned.
Images of Taonga Māori
Images of taonga have cultural significance to Māori. Such images and their associated information should be used for personal use only.
Need more help?
If you are having difficulty viewing this site on desktop, tablet or phone, please see the Helpful Hints information. You'll find advice here about the browsers the site is optimised for, and other tips for improving your experience.
Advice about seeking permission to reproduce or use material from this site or from other NZHPT or Heritage New Zealand publications and resources may be found in the Terms and Conditions.