Old St Paul's
Be embraced by the beauty of this gorgeous wooden cathedral – still sacred, welcoming to all, in the heart of Wellington’s heritage precinct.
Breathtakingly beautiful – Wellington’s famous Old St Paul’s, constructed entirely of native timbers, is one of New Zealand’s greatest heritage places.
Experience the wonderful and sometimes quirky stories of this former cathedral church, its historic location and its people.
Gaze at Old St Paul’s unique colonial architecture, admire its exquisite embroidered furnishings and be awed by the colours of its beautiful stained glass windows. It is a magnificent example of timber Gothic Revival architecture.
The site where Old St Paul’s stands was formerly part of Pipitea Pa. For almost 100 years, Old St Paul’s served as the parish church of Thorndon and the Anglican Cathedral of Wellington.
A new larger cathedral was built in the 1960s throwing doubt on the future of Old St Paul’s. The church was saved, restored and reopened to the public, remaining a consecrated church.
It remains a place of spiritual significance to many and also has become a popular venue for a wide variety of cultural events.
Reasons to visit
- A unique church built entirely of native timber
- With its soaring wooden arches and glowing interior, it is a treasured venue for cultural events
- Features stained glass, wooden carvings and beautiful furnishings
- One of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the world
- US marines stationed in Wellington during World War II found this a place of peace, calm and community
- The interactive exhibition Read This Building allows you to read this heritage place like a book - with stories told not in words, but wood, brass and glass.
- It's a tranquil sanctuary in the heart of a bustling city.
Soaring wooden arches and glowing interior... a much treasured venue for cultural events.
- 34 Mulgrave Street
- 9.30am - 5pm
- Closed Christmas Day, and for short periods during private functions
Normal entry is by donation. Hourly guided tours of Old St Paul's: $5 per person.
Please understand that surcharges may apply at times of special events.