St Michael's Church (Anglican) and Stone Walls
State Highway 12, Ngawha
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
5th April 1984
Far North District
Puketapu 1A1 Maori Reserve Gaz 1948 p.70
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
This plain unpretentious church was opened by Bishop Cowie in 1871. Built by Messrs Neilsen and Cook, it is situated on the site of Pere Taui's Pa, the scene of a battle between Hone Heke and British forces. An earlier church Mangakahia, inspired by Reihana te Taukawau once occupied the site.
The church has vertical boarding, a steep pitched roof and a small chancel. It is rectangular in shape with small, narrow Gothic side windows and a large Gothic-arched front window.
St Michael's church is an excellent example of the simple dignified churches indicative of Maori worship.
Neilson & Cook
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
James Belich, 'The New Zealand Wars and the Victorian Interpretation of Racial Conflict', Auckland, 1986
Ross, 1967 (7)
R. M. Ross, 'Maori Church, Ohaeawai', unpublished ms., Auckland, 1967 (held by NZHPT, Auckland)
Porter, 1983 (2)
Frances Porter (ed.), Historic Buildings of New Zealand: North Island (2nd edn.), Auckland, 1983
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.