17 St Stephens Avenue And Brighton Road, Parnell, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
29th November 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 2 DP 93400 (CT NA49D/1067), North Auckland Land District, and the building and structures known as Deanery (Former) thereon.
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Lot 2 DP 93400 (CT NA49D/1067), North Auckland Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Former Deanery, St Stephens Avenue, Parnell, Auckland
Built in 1857 the same year as the well known Kinder House a short distance away, this former Deanery is a fine example of Frederick Thatcher's architecture.
For a time the Deanery was one of Bishop Selwyn's several houses in New Zealand. He lived here before Bishops court was completed in 1865. Built of stone and wood it shows Thatcher's fine handling of both building materials. The ground floor is constructed in stone and the roof gables are finished in the distinctive vertical board and batten treatment.
The stonemason responsible for the impressive stonework was Benjamin Strange who worked on several early Auckland houses.
Although it has some minor additions the Deanery is still an excellent colonial dwelling displaying Frederick Thatcher's ability in domestic architecture.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.