Kinder House

2 Ayr Street And 482 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland

  • Kinder House.
    Copyright: www.dayout.co.nz. Taken By: Alan Wylde.
  • Kinder House. Images courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: peteshep©. Taken By: peteshep©. Date: 20/05/2013.
  • Kinder House. Images courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: peteshep©. Taken By: peteshep©. Date: 20/05/2013.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 110 Date Entered 29th November 1985

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 1, Pt Lot 2 Deed 582 (CT NA773/198), North Auckland Land District, and the building and structures known as Kinder House thereon.

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)

Region

Auckland Council

Legal description

Lot 1, Pt Lot 2 Deed 582 (CT NA773/198), North Auckland Land District

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Kinder House, 2 Ayr Street, Parnell, Auckland

This is one of Auckland's oldest and best known houses.

Built in 1857 to the design of Fredrick Thatcher this house on its prominent corner site has been much esteemed since it was built.

The house was commissioned by Bishop Selwyn as the residence for the headmaster of the Church of England Grammar School. It is a two storey building of basalt stone featuring diamond paned doors and sash windows. The first and best known occupant was the Reverend John Kinder, well known for his water colours and photography. He was also known as a keen gardener and this is reflected in the grounds seen today.

Recently restored by the Auckland City Council and opened to the public, Kinder House is very fine example of an early stone colonial dwelling.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Tole & Massey

An Architectural Partnership which spanned the years 1928 to 1935. George Edmund Tole (1898-1972) and Horace Lovell Massey (1895-1978).

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1857 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.