2 Strathallan Street, Cains Terrace And Station Street, Timaru
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
1st September 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as RS 41175 (CT CB33K/822), Canterbury Land District and the building known as Customhouse (Former) thereon.
RS 41175 (CT CB33K/822), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration, with information in square brackets indicating modifications made after the paper was considered.
The former Customs House was designed by [Mr D West], and was opened in August 1902. It was vacated by the Customs Department in the late 1970s. It is strongly classical in design. Two pairs of Doric columns support a frieze and a pediment over the porch on the main elevation; paired pilasters support the frieze around the rest of the building with a pediment on each of the side elevations.
Each of the windows has a pediment bead. It is a well balanced and organized design, enhanced by its position at the junction of three streets which results in its being seen from many aspects. The fence and iron railing, climbing as it comes around the building, gives a finishing touch of dignity.
The historical value of the building lies in its long and close association with the port of Timaru. This, added to the buildings great architectural distinction and setting in the townscape, make it a building of national importance.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.