Wairau Public Hospital - Fever Ward (Former) [Relocated]

Hospital Rd [Relocated To Brayshaw Park], Blenheim

  • Wairau Public Hospital - Fever Ward (Former). October 1999. Image included in NZHPT Field Record Form Collection.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: N Jackson.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 1536 Date Entered 25th November 1982

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Marlborough District

Region

Marlborough Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 771 also pt Sec 7 Pt Sec27 & 197 Blk III Taylor PassSD

Location description

Relocated to Brayshaw Park, Blenheim.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Swan, John Sydney

Swan (1874-1936) practised architecture during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He formed part of the last group of architects to follow the traditional Gothic and Classical styles. He was articled to Frederick de Jersey Clere, working with Clere on many major designs such as the Wellington Rowing Club building (then known as the Naval Artillery Boat Shed, 1894) as well as smaller provincial buildings such as the Church of the Good Shepherd, Tinui. The firm was known as Clere, Fitzgerald and Richmond and was one of the most prominent architectural practices in Wellington. From 1901 to 1906 Swan was in partnership with Clere, practising on his own account from 1907. The first major design produced by Swan in this new practice was the Karori Crematorium (1907) which served to establish his architectural identity separate from Clere.

During his long and varied career Swan produced a large and wide range of work, including a number of banks for the National Bank such as the head office building in Wellington (1907), educational buildings for the Wellington Technical College with William Gray Young (1922), and a number of major buildings for the Catholic Church including St Gerard's Church, Mt Victoria (1910), Sacred Heart Convent (later Erskine College), Island Bay (1909), and Wanganui Convent (1912). He was an architect of imagination as evidenced by the design of his own house 'The Moorings', Glenbervie Terrace (1905).

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1898 -

Relocation
2007 -
Relocated to Brayshaw Park, Blenheim.

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.