Dr Stephenson’s Residence (Former)

201 High Street, Dunedin

  • Dr Stephenson’s Residence (Former).
    Copyright: Wikimedia Commons. Taken By: Ben Hill. Date: 24/08/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2200 Date Entered 2nd July 1982

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Pt Secs 39-40, Town of Dunedin (CT OT13A/703; OT13A/704), Otago Land District, and the building known as Dr Stephenson’s Residence (Former) thereon.

City/District Council

Dunedin City

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Pt Secs 39-40, Town of Dunedin (CT OT13A/703; OT13A/704), Otago Land District

Summaryopen/close

This house was probably built in 1898-1899 for Annie Forsyth Stephenson, wife of Dunedin medical practitioner Dr Ralph Stephenson. A late Victorian brick residence in an area of High Street with a long association with medical practitioners, the house has architectural, historical and aesthetic significance.

Dr Ralph Stephenson (1866-1903) was a Tasmanian-born medical practitioner, educated in Edinburgh. He specialised in homeopathy, before setting up practice first in St Kilda, near Melbourne, before moving to Dunedin in 1895. In 1899 Stephenson set up the Nordrach Cottage Sanatorium at Whare Flat near Dunedin – a private hospital for ‘open air’ cures for tuberculosis. The hospital was modelled on the Nordrach hospital in Germany – wooden buildings, with separate rooms for patients, arranged to give access to light and fresh air.

This part of High Street had a strong association with medical practitioners. In 1919, the house was sold to Dr Thomas Harrison, retaining its use as a residence and practice rooms. In 1923, Harrison sold to another medical practitioner, Dr Gerald Fitzgerald. In the late 1960s, the house became the offices for the New Zealand Engineering Coachbuilding Aircraft and Related Trades’ Industrial Union of Workers.

James Louis Salmond (1868-1950) was born in North Shields, England. He was educated at Otago Boys' High School and began his career articled to Robert Arthur Lawson (1833-1902). Salmond initially practised on his own account but later rejoined Lawson in partnership. Salmond took over the practice when Lawson died in 1902. Salmond was the architect of over 20 churches in Otago including the Presbyterian churches at Roslyn, Kaikorai, North Dunedin and the Wesleyan church at Mornington. He designed many private residences including Watson Shennan's house at 367 High Street, as well as those at 114 Cargill Street and 14 Pitt Street, all in Dunedin. Salmond was president of the Otago Art Society, and also served a term as president of the New Zealand Institute of Architects. His son Arthur joined the firm having studied in London and his grandson John continues to work in the firm today. It is now known as Salmond Anderson Architects.

Dr Stephenson’s Residence (Former) is a two storey Victorian town house. Built in brick, with contrasting window facings, quoins and a tile roof, it has a strong street presence. In 2016, it remains a residence.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Salmond, James Louis

James Louis Salmond (1868-1950) was born in North Shields, England. He was educated at Otago Boys' High School and began his career articled to Robert Arthur Lawson (1833-1902). Salmond initially practised on his own account but later rejoined Lawson in partnership. Salmond took over the practice when Lawson died in 1902.

Salmond was the architect of over 20 churches in Otago including the Presbyterian churches at Roslyn, Kaikorai, North Dunedin and the Wesleyan church at Mornington. He designed many private residences including Watson Shennan's house at 367 High Street, as well as those at 114 Cargill Street and 14 Pitt Street, all in Dunedin.

Salmond was president of the Otago Art Society, and also served a term as president of the New Zealand Institute of Architects.

His son Arthur joined the firm having studied in London and his grandson John continues to work in the firm today. It is now known as Salmond Anderson Architects.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1898 -

Completion Date

6th December 2016

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Information Sources

Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1905

Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 4 Otago and Southland, Cyclopedia Company, Christchurch, 1905

Dr Ralph Stephenson - New Zealand Cyclopedia entry.

URL: http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc04Cycl-t1-body1-d2-d26-d4.html

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.