McGruer's Building

79 Emerson Street, Napier

  • McGruers Building.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Alison Dangerfield. Date: 20/10/2008.
  • McGruers Building. 1986. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: C Cochran.
  • McGruers Building. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: Unknown. Date: 1/12/1982.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2803 Date Entered 27th November 1986

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Pt Lots 4-6 DP 3408, Pt Secs 212-213 (CT HBP3/423), Hawke's Bay Land District and the building known as McGruer's Building thereon.

City/District Council

Napier City

Region

Hawke's Bay Region

Legal description

Pt Lots 4-6 DP 3408, Pt Secs 212-213 (CT HBP3/423), Hawke's Bay Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Natusch, C.T. & Sons

Charles Tilleard Natusch (1859-1951) completed his architectural studies in England in 1882, after which he travelled in the United States and Canada. He returned to England in 1883 to become involved in the town planning and development of Southend-on-Sea. He immigrated to New Zealand in 1886 and after a short collaboration with Atkins & Clere, established a practice in Wellington as an architect and quantity surveyor. He then moved to Masterton, Pahiatua and finally to Napier, where he bought the architectural practice of Robert Lamb. From 1908 Natusch worked with his three sons, Aleck, Rene and Stanley. The firm received many domestic commissions from the farming community. Its well known houses include Bushy Park (Kai Iwi), Gwavas (Tikokino), Matapiro (Napier), Maungaraupi (Marton) and Wharerata (Massey University). Following several changes of name and three generations of Natusch architects, the family practice continues today as Natusch Partnership in Napier.

Angus, William McKenzie

William McKenzie Angus was born in Naseby in 1883. At age 14 he moved to Wellington to work as a blacksmith but changed to carpentry and worked in several North Island centres before coming to Napier in approximately 1907. He founded the firm W M Angus Ltd in 1923, with approximately 4-5 employees. At the time of his death in July 1968 the firm had 200 employees. His first major job in Napier, the Chief Post Office, withstood the 1931 Hawkes Bay earthquake as did the other buildings he had erected in Napier by this time. (Registration Report for the Waiapu Diocesan Office Building and Synod Hall, 2008).

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1931 -
Stripped Classical

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.