130 Inland Road, Highfield, Waiau
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
5th September 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent of registration includes part of the land described as Pt Sec 301 Square 84 (CT CB316/123), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Highfield Woolshed thereon.
Pt Sec 301 Square 84 (CT CB316/123), Canterbury Land District
Highfield Station is one of the earliest sheep stations in North Canterbury. It was established by G.L. Lee in 1852 and has a long association with the Northcote family who took over the farm in 1882.
Built by 1877, the Highfield Woolshed was constructed from timber and corrugated iron in a T-shape with 12 shearing stands in each wing. In the central bay, fleeces were sorted, baled and stored before loading into wagons from the doorway in the end wall. When shearing machines were introduced, they were driven by a traction engine outside the shed.
The Highfield Woolshed is now the oldest surviving woolshed in the Hurunui district and is one of the largest and best preserved. It represents the era of early pastoral runs and played a significant role in Waiau's development as the setting for the Waiau districts A&P Show for many years. It is still used as a woolshed.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.