Kildoon Stables

48 Winara Avenue, Waikanae

  • Kildoon Stables.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: B Wagstaff. Date: 8/06/2011.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4105 Date Entered 5th September 1985

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Kapiti Coast District

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Pt Lot 5 DP 41867 Lot 1 DP 45107

Summaryopen/close

These stables were built for Hemi Matenga Waipunahau and his wife Huria Matenga. Hemi and Huria Matenga were regarded as national heroes. In 1863 their actions saved all but one of the crew and passengers of the SS Delaware when it founded off Pepin Island, near Nelson. Huria's popularity brought her to the attention of the artist Frederick Lindauer, who painted her portrait twice. Hemi Matenga acquired the land on which the stables stand from his half brother and paramount chief Wireu Parata Te Karakoura in 1900. In 1912 Matenga built a house on the property; the stables were part of the outbuildings also constructed at this time. However, Hemi and Huria never lived in the house as Hemi died before it was completed. Following Hemi's death the trustees of his estate decided to establish the Hemi Matenga Memorial Park and Scenic Reserve. Huria eventually sold the house in 1916. The property change hands several times until 1946 when Dr John Alexander Doctor, a noted ophthalmologist, and wife Catherine Gibson, acquired it. Catherine died in 1960, and in 1962 Dr Doctor married Kathleen Francis McLeod. Dr Doctor remained in the house until his death in 1981.

The stables are clad in weatherboards with a corrugated iron roof. The eastern section of the building is two storeyed with a gable roof and double-hung sash windows. The western section of the building has a lower pitched roof, with large wooden stable doors dominating the main fa├žade. There are two lean-tos on either side of this section, which were probably added at a later date.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1912 -

Completion Date

22nd November 2001

Report Written By

Helen McCracken

Information Sources

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

Mary Louise Ormsby, 'Huria Matenga', Vol. 1, Wellington, 1990, pp, 281-282

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.