Stone Store

Robinsons Rd, Whitianga

  • Stone Store, Whitianga.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Aranne Donald. Date: 19/03/2000.
  • Stone Store, Whitianga.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Aranne Donald. Date: 19/03/2000.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 4684 Date Entered 28th June 1990

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Thames-Coromandel District

Region

Waikato Region

Legal description

Lots 4 5 DPS 14526 Lot 69 DPS 16632 Blk X Otama SD

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

George White was an early trader in the Whakatane area and the East Coast. By 1867 he was established at Whitianga as a farmer and trader, on the land where the Stone Store now stands. About 1868 the store was built by two English workmen, using Ignimbrite blocks quarried from the opposite side of Whitianga Harbour.

About 1920 the interior of the building , was plastered for use as a cool room or dairy. The building has been unused for many years.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

This is a sound building constructed in local stone which is a tangible link with early European settlement of Whitianga.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL QUALITY:

A simple, utilitarian stone building. The plastered surface would have served to stabilise the interior temperature.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION:

A simple one room structure of locally-quarried ignimbrite stone. It is rectangular in plan with a vaulted stone roof and has a single timber frame doorway centrally placed in the harbour-facing wall. The interior has been plastered.

Notable Features

Solid stone construction.

Construction Dates

Other
1920 -
interior plastered.

Original Construction
1868 -

Construction Details

Ignimbrite stone

Completion Date

9th March 1990

Other Information

A copy of this report is available from the NZHPT Northern Region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.