Flight House

54 Mangorei Road, Strandon, New Plymouth

  • Flight House.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Blyss Wagstaff. Date: 5/07/2010.
  • .
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Blyss Wagstaff. Date: 5/07/2010.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 7086 Date Entered 28th October 1993

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent of registration is part of the land described as Lot 6 DP 4898 (NZ Gazette 1987 p.4911), Taranaki Land District and the building known as Flight House thereon, and its fittings and fixtures.

City/District Council

New Plymouth District

Region

Taranaki Region

Legal description

Lot 6 DP 4898 (NZ Gazette 1987 p.4911), Taranaki Land District

Location description

Flight house is located in the grounds of New Plymouth Girls’ High School

Summaryopen/close

The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report 28 Oct 1993.

This house is associated with Josiah Flight, a prominent early Taranaki settler who migrated to New Plymouth in 1842. Amongst his numerous appointments were positions as magistrate, sub-treasurer for the province, founding Director of New Plymouth's first bank, the New Plymouth Savings Bank and Captain of Militia during the Second Taranaki War.

Built in 1868, the "L" plan house is a plain, utilitarian vertical board and batten building, but built of better materials and of longer construction in comparison with other typical examples of this type.

The house was moved from its original site in 1984 and restored as a joint venture between the Trust and local Polytechnic and is now situated in the grounds of New Plymouth Girls High School.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Other
1984 -
Building removed from site to make way for an office building. Was stored at Bell Block then moved to the Taranaki Polytechnic and restored as part of joint venture with NZHPT. 5 Years later moved to current site

Relocation
1990 -
September 1990 building transported to the New Plymouth Girls High School.

Original Construction
1868 -

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.