Choat House

Puketona Road, Puketona, Kerikeri

  • Choat House.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Stuart Park. Date: 4/03/2002.
  • Choat House.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Stuart Park. Date: 4/03/2002.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 66 Date Entered 19th March 1987

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Far North District

Region

Northland Region

Legal description

Pt Lot 6 DP 39381 (CT 334130), North Auckland Land District

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

The Puketona property was transferred from Henry Williams to his eldest son, Edward Marsh Williams, in 1857. In 1861 Edward wrote from Puketona accepting his appointment as Resident Magistrate at Waimate. The property originally contained approximately 2000 acres, but excluded a nearby Tapu area that had been set aside by Hone Heke in 1838, The Puketona property later became the property of Edward Williams' son, K S Williams. James Choat , grandfather of the present owner, was appointed caretaker of the property and lived in the homestead. He later purchased the property. Before a Post Office was opened in 1914, all the mail went to Puketona and was spread on a table in the hall. A Light was left burning at night and the door unlocked so that the settlers could come in and collect their mail. The house is worthy of preservation and with the consent of the owner, should be considered for a noticeboard.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (style)

Domestic carpenter tradtion, gabled roofs with front verandah, double-hung windows and bay window in front gable.

MODIFICATIONS

The present kitchen was added to the house at an unknown date. The original kitchen was detached, facing the courtyard behind the house.

Notable Features

One notable feature of the front room is a very handsome bay window with panelling beneath it on the inside.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1860 -

Construction Details

Two storeyed, timber, iron roof, originally shingled.

Other Information

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.