St Augustine's Church (Anglican)

15-21 John Street, Waimate

  • St Augustine's Church (Anglican). Image courtesy of
    Copyright: Joe Wallace. Taken By: Joe Wallace. Date: 19/09/2009.
  • St Augustine's Church (Anglican). Image courtesy of
    Copyright: Shellie Evans . Taken By: Shellie Evans - flyingkiwigirl. Date: 3/12/2013.
  • St Augustine's Church (Anglican). Stained glass windows. Left - Christ in the house of Martha. Right - Sir Galahad and the Holy Grail.
    Copyright: Stephen Estall. Taken By: Stephen Estall.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 322 Date Entered 2nd April 1985


City/District Council

Waimate District


Canterbury Region

Legal description

TS 119 120 Pt TS 118 Lot1 DP 3146


This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

St Augustine's Church (Anglican), Waimate

St Augustine's is a large wooden church which has evolved over the years from the basic rectangular structure built in 1872.

The original part of the church was built from heart black pine (Matai) and Totara milled from the Waimate bush, and it's thought to have been designed by the prominent architect B W Mountfort. (His advice was sought by the church Building Committee prior to drawing up plans for the church).

The church was enlarged in 1880 when the lantern tower with its high pavilion roof was added. The vicar form 1876 to 1891 Rev Charles Coates, is said to have designed the tower which is such a feature of the church.

In 1928 the foundation stone for a new chancel and sanctuary was laid as the basis of a new church to replace the older wooden structure. Fortunately the rebuilding plans were never put into action. A lych gate was added in 1902 and a bell tower in 1903, completing the group of buildings as they stand today.

Notable features of the church are two stained glass windows depicting Sir Galahad and the Holy Grail, and Christ in the house of Martha. They were designed and manufactured by Morris & Co with the first window being installed in 1926 and the second in 1931.


Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1872 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.