Bushy Park Homestead
791 Rangitatau East Road, Kai Iwi, Whanganui
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Able to Visit
22nd November 1984
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as, Lot 2 DP 12732 (CT WN21C/689), Wellington Land District and the building known as Bushy Park Homestead and its fittings and fixtures.
Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region
Lot 2 DP 12732 (CT WN21C/689), Wellington Land District
Bushy Park Homestead, a twenty-two roomed residence, was designed by the notable architect Charles Tilleard Natusch for Frank Moore, a well known Hereford cattle and racehorse breeder of Kai Iwi near Wanganui. It was built in 1906 by Messrs. Russell and Bignell of Wanganui at a cost of £4,566. Bushy Park's design is more formal than most of Natusch's houses primarily due to the influence of Moore, who rejected Natusch's initial design preferring a more classical home of a Regency 'cum' American Colonial style, incorporating classical columns. The home is constructed in timber on concrete foundations with a tiled roof. The interior features some fine panelling and a magnificent carved mantelpiece in the dining room, the work of W. Andrews of the Wanganui Technical School of Design.
Upon Moore's death in 1962 the home and 220 acres [89 hectares] of surrounding bush was gifted to the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand (Forest and Bird). The latter was formed in 1923 as the Native Bird Protection Society with the aim of protecting New Zealand's 'native flora and fauna, their habitats, and natural scenic values'. Over the years the Society has acquired more than 30 reserves throughout New Zealand, either through gift or by purchase. In 1995 the management of Bushy Park was handed to the Bushy Park Homestead and Forest Trust, but still remains under the auspices of Forest and Bird. The homestead now provides accommodation to the public and a venue for conferences and other functions. It also runs an education centre for learning experiences in science, technology and the environment.
On a local level Bushy Park Homestead has great significance as the past home of Frank Moore, and because it was constructed by local builders and craftsmen. On a national level Bushy Park has great significant for its association with one of New Zealand's most notable architects, Charles Tilleard Natusch, and for its association for the last 40 years with the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand.
Natusch, C.T. & Sons
Charles Tilleard Natusch (1859-1951) completed his architectural studies in England in 1882, after which he travelled in the United States and Canada. He returned to England in 1883 to become involved in the town planning and development of Southend-on-Sea. He immigrated to New Zealand in 1886 and after a short collaboration with Atkins & Clere, established a practice in Wellington as an architect and quantity surveyor. He then moved to Masterton, Pahiatua and finally to Napier, where he bought the architectural practice of Robert Lamb. From 1908 Natusch worked with his three sons, Aleck, Rene and Stanley. The firm received many domestic commissions from the farming community. Its well known houses include Bushy Park (Kai Iwi), Gwavas (Tikokino), Matapiro (Napier), Maungaraupi (Marton) and Wharerata (Massey University). Following several changes of name and three generations of Natusch architects, the family practice continues today as Natusch Partnership in Napier.
17th December 2001
Report Written By
New Zealand Historic Places
New Zealand Historic Places
Jill and Denis Friar, 'A Homestead Preserved', No. 43, September 1993
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.