Helmore's Lane, Christchurch
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
23rd June 1983
This wooden bridge over the Avon was constructed for Joseph Cornish Helmore, who at the time owned 50 acres of land on the north bank of the river. Helmore obtained permission from the Canterbury Provincial Government to construct a road through his block and to erect a bridge, at his expense, over the Avon. The completion of the bridge and road in 1866 opened up the area for subdivision.
The bridge itself is a timber beam bridge typical of its era and consists of three spans, two of approximately 4.5 metres and a centre span of approximately 9 metres. It is now subject to load restrictions.
The Helmore's Lane Bridge is significant as the only surviving nineteenth-century timber bridge in Christchurch.
20th August 2001
Report Written By
John A. Ince, A City of Bridges. A History of Bridges over the Avon and Heathcote Rivers in Christchurch, Christchurch, 1998
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.