Green Hayes

45 Milford Clandeboye Road, Temuka

  • Green Hayes.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2030 Date Entered 2nd April 2004

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Pt Lot 14 DP 4679 (CT CB24B/738), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Green Hayes thereon, and its fixtures and fittings.

City/District Council

Timaru District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Pt Lot 14 DP 4679 (CT CB24B/738), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

Green Hayes was built by pastoralist John Hayhurst in 1881-2, and was one of the first houses in South Canterbury to have electricity. Originally from Preston in Lancashire, Hayhurst emigrated to Australia in 1844 aged 16. Within a few years he had arrived in New Zealand, working first in the North Island, but settling in Canterbury in 1849 - before planned settlement of the province commenced. After a period spent working in a smithy in Market Square, Christchurch, Hayhurst was engaged by Sir Thomas Tancred (from whom he later leased Ashburton Station), and embarked on a career in pastoralism. Other runs with which he was associated included Simons Pass and Grey Hills.

Through the exercise of great judgement Hayhurst profited sufficiently from his speculations to become a substantial runholder. In 1903, the Green Hayes estate consisted of 4,800 acres divided into 30 tenanted farms. Hayhurst also owned the principal business block in Temuka. He was very active in public life, serving both in local and provincial government. He was not to enjoy his fine new house for long however, for he died in 1890 aged 62.

From 1886, the general management of the estate was in the hands of his son John Turnbull Murray Hayhurst, who later served in the Boer War. Colonel J.T.M. Hayhurst died in 1915, and his wife Amelia moved into nearby Ashfield - supposedly taking the marble fireplaces with her. A similar house to Green Hayes, Ashfield had been Mrs Hayhurst's father's home. In 1916/17 the family sold the property to the Salvation Army, and Green Hayes subsequently became the Bramwell Booth Home for Boys. Until 1938 the property also accommodated the Watts-Lowry School, named for a generous donor. Thereafter, the boys attended the Temuka School. Today the property serves as a home for children of both sexes.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

Green Hayes has historical significance as the former home of substantial Temuka landowners, the Hayhurst family; and historical and social significance as the site of a Salvation Army children's home for over 85 years.

The house is of architectural interest as a fine example of the substantia homes built by notable landowners at this time.

(a) In its institutional capacity, the house also represents the changing use of many large houses in the twentieth century, and the central role of the Salvation Army in welfare provision.

(e) The house has acquired community esteem, particularly for the generations of children who have grown up there.

(j) because of its former role, unusual in a New Zealand context, as the 'manor house' of a large landed estate farmed by multiple tenant farmers.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

A substantial square two-storey concrete Italianate villa, with a verandah wrapping around three sides. An elaborate bay projects from the centre of the front façade. Initially this served as an open support for a first floor balcony, but was closed in around 1900 to provide a foyer for the original front door. The balcony and balustrade were later removed, and a gabled roof fitted. A modern wing projects from the side of the building.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1881 - 1882

Modification
1900 -
Single storey addition (later demolished), and foyer bay.

Modification
1977 -
Addition of substantial wing for children's home use. (This was to accommodate girls).

Construction Details

Double brick.

Completion Date

7th September 2004

Report Written By

Pam Wilson

Information Sources

Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1903

Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 3, Canterbury Provincial District, Christchurch, 1903

pp. 908-910.

Kerr, 1976

P. Kerr, From the beginning : chronicles of a county, Timaru, 1976

Pinney, 1971

R Pinney, Early South Canterbury Runs, Wellington, 1971

Press

The Press

Historic Reflections 29/11/2003

Other Information

A fully referenced version of this report is available from the NZHPT Southern Region Office.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.