AMP Society Building
86-90 Customhouse Quay, Wellington
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
1st September 1983
Lot 2 DP 81539
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Designed by Wellington architects Clere & Clere (F de J and E H de J) in 1925 and completed in 1928, this building deriving from Renaissance Palace design, is one of the significant examples of this form remaining in the capital.
The façade is classically organised into well defined rusticated base, windows at all levels above with different pediments creating a suitable rhythmic pattern, and a heavy cornice with terra cotta plaques below.
Dominating the Customhouse Quay façade is a large and impressive portal on the grand scale which occupies nearly a third of the vertical height of the building. This leads to a main office space which, at the time of its construction, was one of the largest single rooms in New Zealand and, with its four huge Italian marble columns with Corinthian capitals, remains one of the grandest.
The building on its corner site is a major contribution to the townscape with its restrained ornamentation, discipline and dignity of design.
Clere & Clere
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.