Bank of New Zealand Building

114-116 High Street & Gordon Street, Dannevirke

  • The BNZ in Dannevirke.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Rebecca O'Brien. Date: 11/06/2003.
  • Stained glass dome in the BNZ in Dannevirke.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Rebecca O'Brien. Date: 11/06/2003.
  • The BNZ in Dannevirke.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Rebecca O'Brien. Date: 11/06/2003.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4416 Date Entered 16th November 1989

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Tararua District

Region

Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 3030

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

This bank has contributed much to the commercial history of the area. Dannevirke was the sixth office to be opened by the Bank of New Zealand in Hawkes Bay on 23 March 1887. The bank became an agency in 1892 and finally in July 1900, a branch. It played a significant role in servicing the commercial needs of the surrounding district. In addition this building has survived several serious earthquakes.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE:

The bank has an appropriately Classical design for what was one of the town's principal commercial buildings. Of the seventeen Charlesworth banks this is one of his most impressive. This is a fine architectural statement in a prosperous small town in a rich pastoral and agricultural district.

TOWNSCAPE/LANDMARK SIGNIFICANCE:

With its prominent corner siting it makes an important visual statement of commercial stability.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Charlesworth, Joshua

Charlesworth (1861-1925) was born in Yorkshire and the first record of his practice in Wellington was in the New Zealand Post Office Directory of 1885-87.

He won a competition for the design of the Home for the Aged and Needy in June, 1887, and in the same year won another for the design of the Nelson Town Hall. Charlesworth set up practice in Wellington in his early twenties, designing many institutional buildings and showing command of the revival styles of architecture.

His work includes the Wellington Town Hall (1901), Brancepeth Station Homestead addition, Wairarapa (1905), Te Aro Post Office (1908), St Hilda's Church, Upper Hutt (1909), and seventeen branch banks for the Bank of New Zealand, situated throughout the country (1907-17).

Charlesworth was elected a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Architects in 1905, and became a life member of the Institute. He was its vice-president in 1909-10, and was the first chairman of a society of architects which was formed in 1912. Charlesworth also belonged to the Yorkshire Society in Wellington and was its president for many years.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (STYLE):

The Bank of New Zealand Dannevirke is a two storeyed building originally with the bank on the ground floor and living quarters for the manager upstairs. It is designed in a Classical style typical of New Zealand bank buildings of the period. The main facades incorporate Corinthian columns, while the main doorway is flanked with Ionic columns. The banking chamber is lit by a large dome, which is in turn complemented by the patterned ceiling. It is not certain who was responsible for the design and execution of the glasswork. The lower part of the walls are finished with smooth plaster while the top third is clad with embossed zinc. The banking counters are constructed of rimu. Upstairs in the former manager's quarters there are two large sash lead light windows, one above the first landing and the other above the second. These windows are intricately decorated and add interest to an otherwise plain staircase. The embossed ceilings have approximately seven different designs. The fire places have been boarded up.

Notable Features

The dome

The zinc embossed panels

Leadlight windows above stairs

Construction Dates

Modification
-
The interior of the banking chamber was completely renovated

Modification
1982 -
The interior was again refurbished and living quarters upstairs were incorporated in a staff room, storage and toilets

Original Construction
1915 -

Construction Details

Brick, plastered with cement. Corrugated iron roof and pressed zinc ceiling.

Completion Date

29th April 1989

Information Sources

Fearnley, 1977

Charles Fearnley, Early Wellington Churches, Wellington, 1977

Wellington Regional Council

Wellington Regional Council

Biography & Individual Buildings of J. Charlesworth. List of Buildings Researched by Wellington Regional Council, no date

Hill, 1976

M Hill, New Zealand Architecture, NZ Architectural School Publications 1976

Griffin, 1987

R H Griffin, Dannevirke 1887-1987 A BNZ Century

Other Information

A copy of this report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.