St Joseph’s Church (Former)

221 Beechey Street, Pirongia

  • St Joseph’s Church (Former), Pirongia (aka St Joseph's Catholic Church - deconsecrated 1993). Image courtesy of Hanna Peters c.2006.
    Copyright: Hanna Peters.
  • St Joseph’s Church (Former), Pirongia (aka St Joseph's Catholic Church - deconsecrated 1993). Image included in Field Record Form Collection.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Jamie Mackay. Date: 1/10/1993.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4440 Date Entered 5th September 1985

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Waipa District

Region

Waikato Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DPS 53591 (CT SA45A/790), South Auckland Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Warren, John Willing

John Willing Warren (1859-1936) was a prominent Auckland architect who had an architectural office in Hamilton from the late nineteenth century until c.1920. His partner was engineer J Blechneyden and their commissions were largely for commercial buildings.

The practice was also responsible for some remarkably individual designs such as Kauhanganui, (the Maori Parliament Building) Ngaruawahia, (1919), which is significant for its combination of Maori decorative features within a European architectural idiom. Warren was also responsible for the design of Henry Greenslade's house known as "Wairere", Hamilton (1911-12).

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1911 - 1912

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.