Kuaotunu Centennial Memorial Hall and Library

12 Black Jack Road And Irishtown Road, Kuaotunu

  • Kuaotunu Centennial Memorial Hall and Library. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Marcia Breen. Taken By: Marcia Breen. Date: 11/03/2004.
  • Kuaotunu Centennial Memorial Hall and Library.
    Copyright: Dr Ann McEwan. Taken By: Dr Ann McEwan. Date: 5/05/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4636 Date Entered 19th March 1986

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Sec 67 Blk II Otama SD (CT SA23B/496) and part of the land described as Legal Road, South Auckland Land District, and the building known as Kuaotunu Centennial Memorial Hall and Library thereon, as shown in the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 5 April 2016.

City/District Council

Thames-Coromandel District

Region

Waikato Region

Legal description

Sec 67 Blk II Otama SD (CT SA23B/496) and Legal Road, South Auckland Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Mitchell & Watt

John Mitchell (c.1859-1947) and Robert Martin Watt (1860-1907) were in partnership at Auckland by 1892.

Mitchell was born in Ramelton, Northern Ireland, and received his architectural training in Ireland before emigrating to New Zealand in 1888 and settling in Auckland. He became known for his early use of reinforced concrete. In 1893 he invented a baked earthenware block which was used in domestic construction. He left for England in 1912 and was involved with a prefabricated housing project at Bournemouth. He retired in 1922 and returned to New Zealand.

Watt was born in Scotland and studied architecture in Glasgow with the firm of Barclay Bros. He immigrated to New Zealand about 1878 for health reasons and practised in Auckland both on his own account and in partnership with Mitchell. In 1960 he was elected president of the Auckland branch of the New Zealand Institute of Architects.

Mitchell and Watt were appointed architects to the Auckland Education Board in 1892. Mitchell undertook new work while Watt undertook rebuilding projects and renovations to existing buildings. Their work includes schools at Te Mata (1905) and Maungatautari (1905), additions to schools at Cambridge (1900) and Dargaville (1905), the Seddon Memorial Technical College (1908-13). Non-educational buildings include Mt Eden Congregational Church (1900). Watt was responsible for the design of the Ley's Institute, Ponsonby (1905-06).

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1897 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.