Arapawaiti

10 Hana Udy Place, Paraparaumu Beach

  • Arapawaiti.
    Copyright: Gayle Lopdell.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4967 Date Entered 29th November 1985

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Kapiti Coast District

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 389413 (CT 357850), Wellington Land District

Summaryopen/close

Dating from the 1840s, Arapawaiti is the oldest surviving building in the Kapiti region. Although modified extensively over the years, its original basic shape form is still discernable. Known as the Ferry Inn, as well as Arapawaiti (meaning the paths of little puffs of smoke), it was built by Tom Wilson, who had originally come to the Kapiti Coast as a whaler. The inn was sited on land owned by his wife Hanake (Wiremu Te Awawa), adjacent to the Waikanae River, and on the main route from Wellington to Wanganui. Following Wilson's death in 1878, the couple's daughter Hannah and Hannah's second husband Henry Field took over the running of the property. Field was a surveyor, and later member of the Hutt County Council and Member of Parliament. The Fields converted the building into a guesthouse and ran a sheep farm on the surrounding land. The house remained in the ownership of one of the descendants of the family until 1990.

The building was originally constructed with pit-sawn timber and hand-made nails. Matai was used for the studs, weatherboards and flooring, and totara for the shingled roof. The weatherboards are now covered with Durock veneer, all original windows have been modernised and others added. The roof is now clad in corrugated iron and the verandah enclosed. Internally the house still retains the original steep staircase and small upstairs rooms.

Although much altered, Arapawaiti is historically very significant as the oldest surviving building in the Kapiti region. Its earliest history as a ferry inn makes it very rare. Few other buildings of this type survive to this day. Its significance is enhanced by its association with Tom and Hanake Wilson, and with the Fields, who became one of the region's more notable families.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1840 -

Modification
-
Weatherboards covered with Durock veneer, original windows have been modernised and some added, the roof covered with corrugated iron, verandah enclosed

Modification
1958 -
Renovations, including connecting electricity

Completion Date

22nd November 2001

Report Written By

Helen McCracken

Information Sources

Maclean, 1999

Chris Maclean, Kapiti, Wellington, 1999

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.