Silvio's

173 Cuba St, Wellington

  • Silvio's.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Anika Klee. Date: 14/05/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5343 Date Entered 22nd August 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Wellington City

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 15207

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Mainly streetscape value. Stripped classicism with an early example of decorative Art Deco chevron inspired pattern below the cornice.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Dawson, Joseph McClatchie

J M Dawson (1877-1956) was born in the Wairarapa. His father was a contractor in this district and Dawson's education included a background in construction work. In 1900 he left New Zealand and travelled to South Africa, England and Australia, returning in 1906 to establish his own architectural practice in Wellington.

His buildings include the T.G. McCarthy Building, Willis Street (1913), Hatricks Motor Garage (now Manthel Motors), corner Taranaki and Wakefield Streets (1913), and the Hope Gibbons Building, Dixon Street (1925).

Dawson was an inaugural member of the New Zealand Institute of Architects, formed in 1905, and became a Fellow of the Institute in 1913. He was its president from 1938-1940. Having appointed Jack Ian King (1900-1972) as his first partner in 1929 Dawson entered semi-retirement in 1946, retiring in 1948. The firm he founded continues as King and Dawson.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

Built for hotel proprietor S. Edilson

Notable Features

Symmetrical facade (first floor), careful detailing in the window treatment (now enclosed), minimal decoration in from of motifs and friezes.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1928 -
Stripped classical

Completion Date

22nd August 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.