Commercial/Retail Building (AGC House)

176 Cuba St, Wellington

  • Commercial/Retail Building (AGC House).
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Anika Klee. Date: 4/03/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5366 Date Entered 22nd August 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Wellington City

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

All DP 7769, CT 340/58

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Built 1904-5.

Of streetscape value, and an integral part of the Edwardian character of Cuba St. Historically interesting factory remaining in the hands of the same business which built it in 1904. Watkins was important in the printing industry at the time.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

Architect: R.R. McGregor

Ornate curved and decorated gables removed due to earthquake risk

Built for Messrs. Veitch & Allen, drapers and furnishers

Notable Features

Large pilasters rising through two storeys, corner windows set in segmental arches, other windows plain with metal glazing bars

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1904 - 1905
Edwardian free classical

Completion Date

1st August 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.