Governors Bay School House

Main Rd, Governors Bay

  • Governor's Bay School House.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5435 Date Entered 20th February 1992

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Governors Bay Reserve 5222 Blk 3, Halswell Survey Dist.

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

The 1868 school and school house have regional importance as two of only a few school buildings surviving from the Provincial Government period in Canterbury. The two buildings have a rare association of both surviving together on the original site. The buildings are associated with prominent Canterbury and Chatham Island pioneers: naturalist Thomas Potts gifted the land upon which the buildings stand; Rev. Henry Torlesse, who was the first chairman of the school committee; and Mable Chudleigh, wife of Edward Chudleigh, early European settler on the Chathams, and daughter of Thomas Potts. She donated to the school the bell from the wreck of the "Ocean Mail", wrecked on the Chathams in March 1877 .

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1868 -

Completion Date

5th February 1992

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.