Vercoes Flaxmill Ruins
Nelson Street, Blenheim
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
1st July 1993
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land known as Lot 9 DP 4129 (Recreation Reserve), Marlborough Land District and the structure known as Vercoes Flaxmill Ruins thereon
Lot 9 DP 4129 (Recreation Reserve), Marlborough Land District
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report presented to the Board 1 July 1993.
These ruins, which are mostly intact concrete foundations, are the remains of the flax mill built by Philip Vercoe. Vercoe arrived in New Zealand in February 1842 and moved to Nelson in 1862. He built a brick works on the section in 1888 and added the flax mill in 1890. This was the largest mill in the area at that time. The mill was dismantled in the early 1920's.
Vercoe's flax mill ruins provide physical evidence of one of many flax mill sites in Marlborough, flax milling being part of a nationwide industry with its largest centre of production in the Manawatu. The concrete foundations are quite extensive and are situated on Council reserve land.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.