29, 27, 25 Symonds Street, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
26th November 1981
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Lot 1 DP 42142
Historical Significance or Value
The building was constructed by Cornishman John Endean, mining entrepreneur and hotelier for his eight children. However, the building was not permanently used by them and was let as tenements, except for twice being occupied by family members. The buildings have for many years been known as the 'Doctors' Houses' presumably because Number 25 was built with a dispensary and surgery on the Abercrombie/ St Paul's Street side of the building for John Endean's son Frederick, who later became a Harley Street specialist in London. Directories show number 25 was occupied by George de Clive Low, surgeon, between 1902-4. The building is part of an historic area of Auckland, with the two houses alongside at 31 and 33 Symonds Street being constructed in the 1850s and 1870s respectively. The dimensions and styles of the building in this group reflect the increasing prosperity of the area. The group is also associated with St Paul's Church. The Wynya Tavern in Number 29 is run by Anglican Trust and is something of a social centre for Anglicans as well as workers from neighbouring officers, the university, and the Auckland Technical Institute.
One of the most architecturally distinctive terrace houses in New Zealand and a very rare example of Neo-Jacobean architecture of the late Victorian period. The building is also significant for its attractive good quality brickwork. The main body of the brickwork is in cream offset with red facings in the style that is now unmatched in Auckland. This feature together with the building's rather flamboyant design and picturesque outline, makes it a notable element in the townscape.
The building is a particularly attractive part of the townscape and forms an interesting visual relationship with St Paul's Church directly opposite and the two early houses alongside.
Dutch gables and superb brickwork.
Building is constructed of local brick from Arch Hill Brickworks (Grey Lynn). The roof is corrugated iron. The Balconies and railings cast iron.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (Style):
The building consists of three contiguous middle class town houses with dividing walls. The style of the building is derived from 'Queen Anne' and Neo- Jacobean English architecture of the 1870-1890 period. Typical of these styles are the attractive multi-coloured brickwork and dutch gables incorporated in the design of this building.
Apart from changes to the interior the building is in remarkably original condition. Even the attractive chimneys have been retained.
New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT)
New Zealand Historic Places Trust
Frank Rogers, NZHPT Research Report.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.