39 Symonds Street And Mount Street, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
29th November 1981
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Lot 5 DP 120531 (CT 132473), and Units 105, 206 DP 329557 (CTs 120825 & 120832), North Auckland Land District
Historical Significance or Value
Since redevelopment of the site for student accommodation, much of the original fabric of the house at 39 Symonds Street has been destroyed. Prior to modification the building can be considered to have had aesthetic, architectural and historical significance as a fine 1920s residence in the Neo-Georgian style, constructed in local brick; its association with Auckland-born surgeon Casement Aickin; and as a surviving example of one of Symonds Street's doctor's houses which were once common in the area. While it retains its external visual appearance as a three-dimensional structure rather than a façade - the building has lost its internal floors, partitioning, décor, services and other elements. Much of its external walls remain and the roof surviving is a reinstatement. Redevelopment of the site, while retaining part of the house, resulted in the loss of the building's residential context, its associated yard space and outbuildings.
The house is believed to have been constructed some time between February 1926 and December 1928, and had an associated yard and outbuildings. Following recent redevelopment of the site in association with surrounding land, only the façades and a reinstated portion of the roof of the main original building remain.
Floors were recreated in the house to meet new code construction requirements, the original floors having had to be removed during the project. All existing partitioning and stairways were removed from the building's interior. The new interior constructed as part of the redevelopment introduced access ramps, a new stairway outside the envelope of the 1927/1928 structure (south west end) and a completely new room layout on both floors. A large portion of the roof was reinstated, re-using existing clay tiles. Timber panelling from the doctor's suite of rooms in the single-storey Mount Street section of the building was to have been reused, but was destroyed by fire. The associated outbuildings - the two brick garages fronting onto Mount Street, were demolished.
1927 - 1928
Redevelopment of site and major alterations to building.
28th June 2006
Report Written By
A fully referenced version of this report is available from the Northern Region, NZHPT.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.