Department of Conservation Cottage
Te Aroha Domain, Te Aroha
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
28th October 1993
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report presented to the Board 28 Oct 1993.
This cottage is one of several buildings associated with the Historic Te Aroha Domain. It was the Head Gardener's Cottage for 61 years from 1907, the date the cottage was built, to 1968 when it was rented out to private tenants. In 1989 it became the DoC visitor centre and office.
The house is a good example of a "T" plan Edwardian Villa. The interesting feature of this cottage is that it has no projecting bay beneath the gable representing a local variation. An exterior room was built on the verandah in 1928/9. This was restored by DOC in 1989 and the verandah rebuilt. The cottage exemplifies the growth and development of the Domain with regard to the need for a resident Head Gardener and its control by the (then) Department of Tourist and Health Resorts.
This place is part of an historic area that was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. The following text is from the original Recommendation for Registration considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration of the historic area.
Gardener's Cottage/Caretaker's Cottage (Category II)
Built 1907 as the gardener's cottage, it became the DoC visitor centre and office in 1988. Late Victorian villa - L-shape plan, rusticated weatherboard, corrugated iron roof, verandah south west side - plain verge boards, brackets and finials.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.